Senior Engineer, Backend, Platform at SpotHero
SpotHero is looking for an experienced Backend Engineer who will contribute to the codebase by following set standards and successfully completing stories. You will partner with a Product Manager to ensure requirements are defined correctly and collaborate with our Engineers to define solutions, ensure project deadlines are successfully met and effectively communicate with product/engineering squad team members and internal stakeholders.
Who we are: At SpotHero, we work as a team to empower people to get everywhere, easier! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
What will you do:
- Be a key hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of new products and features through the entire stack.
- Architect and build out the API that powers our web application and native apps with a focus on speed, security, and analytics.
- Help us evolve our Monolith to be a Modular Monolith
- Move existing features from our monolithic codebase into new services that run on Kubernetes using technologies like gRPC and Kafka.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- You can go up and down the stack from infrastructure through the application layer all the way up to client libraries.
- Experience with small teams that move fast -- all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
- You have at least 5 years of hands-on experience as an Engineer across multiple environments.
- Production experience with GoLang.
- Knowledgeable of object-oriented and/or functional programming patterns and paradigms.
- Ability to work in all areas of the tech stack, including infrastructure through the application layer to client libraries.
- Proven ability to work on implementation independently.
- Knowledge of various API paradigms such as REST and RPC.
- Demonstrated leadership and mentorship skills.
Nice to haves are:
- Kubernetes and/or Mesos experience
- Kafka, Spark and/or Flink experience
- Postgres, MySQL and/or Oracle experience
- Elastic and/or Redis experience
- AWS, GCP and/or Azure experience
- Open source contributions to major projects
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits –
- In the US we cover up to 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, company sponsored Life Insurance, 401K, and generous parental leave.
- In Canada we offer Medical (prescription drug and paramedical coverage), Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, STD and LTD.
- Flexible PTO policy and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Annual parking stipend – we help people park!
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
SpotHero is an equal opportunity employer. We know that a diverse workforce is the strongest workforce, and are committed to building and supporting an inclusive environment for all.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is ineligible for visa sponsorship. To be considered for this role, you must be legally authorized to work in Canada or the US and not require sponsorship for employment now or in the future.