Senior Engineer II, Backend
SpotHero is looking for a Senior level Backend Engineer who will contribute to codebase following set standards, successfully completing stories. You will partner with a Product Manager to ensure requirements are defined correctly and collaborate with our Senior Engineers to define solutions, ensure project deadlines are successfully met and effectively communicate with product/engineering squad team members and internal stakeholders. We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
Who we are: SpotHero is one of transportation's hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
Our Stack is: Monolith using Django/Python, the Frontend is React. We are starting to extract specific domains to Services currently using Java, Kotlin and Go. Our Database is Postgres and Redis for caching. We also use Docker, Kubernetes and Kafka.
What kind of person are you?
- Curious and a hungry learner
- A Problem Solver
- Ability to collaborate
- You own your work
What will you do:
- Identify, design, develop, test, and release high quality functionality as efficiently as possible.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the team to deliver quality products with a focus on speed, security, and analytics.
- Independently identify areas for improvement and innovation within our ecosystem, and lead the charge on making those changes.
- Move existing features from our monolithic codebase into new services that run on Kubernetes using technologies like gRPC, Airflow, and Kinesis.
- Be a key hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of new products and features through the entire stack.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- You can go up and down the stack from infrastructure through the application layer all the way up to client libraries.
- Experience with small teams that move fast -- all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
- You have at least 7 years of hands on experience as an Engineer across multiple environments preferably with Python, Kotlin, and/or Go.
Nice to haves are:
- Container platforms like Docker experience
- Orchestration tools like Kubernetes and/or Mesos experience
- Event sourcing tools like Kinesis and/or Kafka experience
- Relational databases like Postgres, MySQL and/or Oracle experience
- Workflow management tools like Airflow experience
- Cloud service providers like AWS, GCP and/or Azure experience
- Protocol buffers experience
- Open source contributions to major projects
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized by Time Magazine as one of the Top 50 Most Genius Companies of 2018, ranks highly on Built In Chicago’s 100 Best Places To Work In Chicago in 2019, and recognized for Diversity & Inclusion initiatives!
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
NOTE: You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Unfortunately, the company is unable to support sponsorships at this time.