Senior Engineer, Search
SpotHero is seeking a Senior Engineer be part of the team building our new search platform. The team will own the solution to help us scale out to build a future where the SpotHero platform surfaces real-time parking inventory across the United States for millions of customers.
Who we are: SpotHero is one of transportation's hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
What will you do:
- Be a key hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of our new search platform from the infrastructure layer up to the API.
- Performance testing and engineering to ensure that our systems always scale to meet our needs.
- Be a key member of the team focused on pure hands-on contribution to the implementation and operation of our search platform.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- At least one project that demonstrates prowess in designing, implementing, and operating large scale, high throughput, low latency distributed systems.
- You can go up and down the stack from deep in the infrastructure layer all the way up to the client libraries.
- Experience with small teams that move fast - all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
- You have at least 7 years of hands-on experience as an Engineer across multiple environments on complex distributed polyglot systems using Java, Scala, Clojure, Go, and/or C++.
Nice to Haves:
- Kubernetes and/or Mesos experience.
- Kafka, Spark, and/or Flink experience.
- Cassandra, Elastic, Redis, and/or Couchbase experience.
- Postgres, MySql, and/or Oracle experience.
- AWS, GCP, and/or Azure experience.
- Open source contributions to a few major projects.
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply:
- Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Unfortunately, the company is unable to support sponsorships at this time.
- We are considering applications for this position from candidates not located in Chicago. However, you must be able and willing to travel to Chicago on a quarterly basis.