Senior Enterprise Architect
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As Discover’s Business Technology organization continues to innovate with new open source technologies, a new opportunity has been opened on the Emerging Technologies team in the Enterprise Architecture group.
*** The position is in our downtown Chicago office, located next to the Merchandise Mart. Occasional travel to headquarters in Riverwoods, IL is required. ***
This position will join a team focused on innovative data engineering solutions. As a DevOps practitioner, you will be focused on delivery and support while also growing your understanding of our partners’ business needs. By following Agile practices and continuing to build our development frameworks, you will contribute to a team that is delivering high value solutions and still innovating in our software toolset choices. We’re currently developing in Python, Scala and Java while leveraging more AWS services every day. Kafka streams may also be in our future, as is evaluating cloud based streaming analytics and machine learning solutions.
There will be opportunities to promote Discover and its innovative solutions that this team will be involved in driving forward, so we expect this individual to be comfortable in these outreach responsibilities and possess good communication skills in order to be effective in these duties.
This role will is a junior role that will allow an engineer to come up to speed on these technologies given they have a competence in computer science or a programming background. Someone with agile experience and use of relevant tools would also be a good candidate for this role.
- Working within an Agile process to deliver solutions to Discover that support the Centralized Logging Service (CLS) and assistance in the design and implementation of the solution, based on Elasticsearch, Logstash, Filebeats, Kafka, Apache NiFi and AWS services.
- Achieve a high level of competency in big data solutions and aligned technologies that are used, or will benefit CLS.
- Take an agile pro-active approach that delivers improvements to the organization in a timely basis.
- Identifying opportunities to innovate on top of the CLS data, which promote skills in Data Analytics.
- Delivering new capabilities with new technologies (i.e., machine learning) that deliver additional value.
- Develop data science expertise.
- Provide support to application developers and other internal stakeholders regarding all aspects of Centralized Logging Solution.
- Actively contribute to and drive creation of artifacts for CLS Architectures, Design Considerations and Best Practices.
- Develop a working knowledge of alternative Log Analytic solutions (i.e. Splunk, Elastic Filebeats/Logstash and other tools), as well as cloud-based offerings.
- Handle occasional on-call duties and escalations as they rotate through the team.
- Actively contributes to, and drives, the creation of artifacts for PCF Architectures, Design Considerations, and Best Practices.
- Provides technical leadership to application developers and other internal stakeholders regarding all aspects of Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF).
- Maintains deep, hands-on technical knowledge of PCF and Application infrastructure and architectures.
- Ensures the successful architecture and deployment of enterprise-grade PaaS solutions, using PCF as well as proper operation during application development and deployment.
- Maintains working knowledge of alternative PaaS solutions (i.e., Open Source CF, BlueMix, Kubernetes).
- Present PCF vision, strategy, technology and roadmaps to executives, technical management, engineers, and operators.
- Responsible for evolving the PaaS environment as it is expanded to a multi-site, multi-zone environment with intelligent routing. The expansion includes the implementation of five new foundations (for a total of nine) per PCI-compliant solution patterns. It also involves the implementation of intelligent routing and other ancillary services (i.e., service registry) to enable applications to achieve the highest levels of availability through cloud principles.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in CS, EE, Physics
- 1-3 years of relevant experience with agile technology teams
- 1-3+years of coding experience with Java, Python, or another modern language.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a Developer or Architect.
- Experience supporting a product or service provided to a development community.
- Experience in a support based capacity, such as a development or engineering team
- Agile Experience, Jenkins and Chef experience beneficial.
- Exposure to: Apache NiFi, Kafka, Java, Python.
* 1-3 years of relevant experience with agile technology teams
* 1-3+years of coding experience with Java, Python, or another modern language.
* Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a Developer or Architect.
* Experience supporting a product or service provided to a development community.
* Experience in a support based capacity, such as a development or engineering team
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.