Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Responsible for the technical development of engineering staff enabling delivery of Automation and Enterprise Systems Management (ESM) Products. A hands-on Servant Leader and technical Subject Matter Expert, accountable for effectively skilling, tooling and allocating engineering Chapter members to best support the needs of Product teams internal and external to Infrastructure Services (IS).
Coaches the team to continuously improve their process and practices, enforces appropriate quality and user experiences, drives out waste and toil, and fosters a culture of continuous innovation and learning. Span of control is approx. 12-16 Chapter members.
- Defines how technical work should be done, selecting appropriate tools, defining technology, quality, experience and implementation standards and practices within own technical domain. Develops own technical skills to attain Subject Matter Expertise in at least one technical implementation within own technical domain. Ensures consistency of technical execution and knowledge, sharing common practices and challenges within the Chapter. Engineer solutions for special projects as needed.
- Develops own Chapter into a highly technical competent, consistent, thoughtful and customer-centric team of technology experts. Works with Product Owners and Value Stream Engineering leaders to efficiently and effectively allocate chapter resources to meet Product needs. Fosters a culture of excellence and continuous learning within the Chapter. Establishes and tracks to appropriate OKRs to ensure outcomes are met.
- Instills a sense of purpose, curiosity and continuous learning with each and every Chapter member, motivating all to achieve their best. Owns the career and performance management process for the chapter, ensuring the collective’s technical competency continues to consistently evolve to effectively support Product Owner and Value Stream needs. Attracts, onboards and develops/restrains talent to achieve the strongest Chapter possible.
- Utilizes PO and VS feedback and performance/satisfaction metrics to identify areas of continuous improvement within team. Engages with internal and external communities of practice to share experience, contribute knowledge, learn and advocate for the Discover Technology brand. Promotes team innovation and collaboration of ideas across teams.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related
- 4+ years Engineering People Management
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 6+ experience in Application development and/or Infrastructure design/delivery
- 2+ years People Management managing engineers, technical teams
- Experience implementing Enterprise Systems Management solutions such as AppDynamics, Moogsoft, Catchpoint
- Experience delivering automation solutions using tools such as Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Terraform, vRA / vRO
- Deep knowledge of automated systems deployment and lifecycle management leveraging in-place, blue-green and immutable constructs.
- Mastery of scripted and programmatic system administration, orchestration and configuration management using tools such as Chef, Ansible, vRealize Automation, Jenkins and Terraform.
- Ability to mentor and coach engineers on deeply technical aspects of full lifecycle management of complex, distributed systems with automation and orchestration.
- 2+ years experience with Cloud environments such as AWS, GCP, Azure, IBM
- Experience working in Agile environments, applying DevOps principles
- Experience working in Product oriented organizations a + #LI-BG1 #Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.