Senior Manager Software Engineering, Web Platform at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
This position is for a Senior Manager role within the Digital Development department at Discover. In this role, you will manage highly engaged engineering teams responsible for delivering high performing web platform services and customer facing experiences for Discover’s award-winning customer servicing website. The role will entail coaching and guiding agile teams to their full potential, partnering with product managers across multiple business lines, and helping to shape and execute the department’s cloud and modernization strategy. In this position you will be expected to provide leadership to teams delivering on a wide variety of simultaneous project efforts; while ensuring that demanding website availability standards are achieved.
Why work at Discover? Because Discover is a recognized leader as a direct bank and payments partner that fosters a challenging and rewarding work environment.
You will be successful at Discover if you can:
- Coach and develop a strong staff responsible for all phases of application development and implementation process including analysis, design, development, testing, and ongoing support.
- Consult with business and technology partners to recommend and implement process and technical innovations that accelerate the delivery of Discover’s short and long term business requirements.
- Successfully communicate metrics, status, and obstacles to multiple levels within the organization.
- Drive continuous improvement across all facets of your team’s daily activity (people, process, and technology)
- Review and evaluate the work of the staff and prepare and deliver performance evaluations.
Responsible for the application ownership, development delivery, and support for value streams. Manages a team, including hiring, directing, mentoring, and assigning work.
- Coaches and mentors team members.
- Supports individuals to achieve their individual development goals.
- Utilizes Agile and Lean practices to identify and solve systemic issues.
- Consults with management in the analysis of short- and long-range business requirements and recommends innovations.
- Utilizes tools to support data-driven decision making.
- Identifies and removes blockers to enable the team to meet business goals.
- Manages software ownership and development from initial concept through continuous improvement.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 8+ years of experience in Application Development
- 2+ years of experience in supervising
If we had our say, we’d also look for
- Highly motivated individual
- Ability to thrive in an ever-changing environment
- Strong people management skills, including coaching and effective performance management.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience leading software development teams responsible for large-scale, high-performance, applications
- Understanding of software engineering principles, application architecture, and infrastructure platforms
- Ability to build strong relationships with technology and business partners
- Strong verbal, written & presentation skills.
- Experience with all aspects of application development techniques, such as Testing, Change Management, Disaster Recovery, Agile.
- Management experience of onsite and offshore staffing.
- Proven ability in being able to articulate various business and technical concepts to upper management with clarity.
- Strategic vision of Internet applications and technologies.
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.