Senior Middleware Engineer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
What You’ll Do
As part of our Digital Payments technology domain, you’ll:
- Leverage your development skills to the highest capacity to help drive key initiatives and projects and shape our business and technology outcomes to meet customer and partner needs.
- Create and break down product/platform efforts into successful execution-ready plan
- Break down complex requirements into workable technical solutions.
- Contribute to the developer experience by leveraging the latest industry technologies to enhance current solution patterns and define new ones.
How You’ll Do It
- Regular interaction with Product Manager, Product Owner and Product Architect for evolution, security enhancement and growth strategies.
- Support, engineer and build activities for Portal, Gateway and API Lifecycle engineering teams and overall direct responsibility for health of the platforms.
- Leads and executes on strategic technical objectives for security and evolution initiatives across API technology platforms.
- Perform technical analysis, design, build and deployment of highly complex / scalable API Platform.
- Infrastructure procurement facilitation and deployment through Cloud Engineering and Infrastructure teams.
- Work with an offshore team to help execute L1 activities.
- Perform API Platform engineer, build upgrades, patching, security vulnerability fixes.
- Perform automation for repeated operations activities using tools like Github, Jenkins, Ansible, Nexus, Service Now, Bash, Python
- Assist evaluating client-area application software/systems requirements and processes (e.g., new features, enhancements or maintenance).
- Develop large-scale, customer-facing applications and application software, test and implement efficient, cost effective application solutions.
- Research and evaluate alternative solutions, recommending the most efficient and cost-effective solution for the systems’ design.
- Design, develop, and integrate systems for digital presence by using Agile development methodologies to support existing and new product features.
- Complete technical design(s) as needed, ensuring that design(s) meet architecture standards and that the resulting system is flexible, easily maintainable, high performing, and integrates well with other related systems/components.
- Collaborate with other developers on code reviews and process enhancements, ensuring that code reviews are performed and documented using the approved template.
- Complete unit and system testing prior to the start of any PA region testing.
- May provide direction and guidance to other systems analysts/developers. Analyze and identify technical areas of improvement within existing web applications.
- Test and mitigate risks for all projects and releases.
- Ensure all projects have detailed implementation and back-out plans, and undergo thorough review in advance of scheduled release.
- Improve the performance of the production environment.
- Leverage Agile/iterative/lean processes to deliver projects faster.
- Propose ideas that better position our applications to support future business and technology initiatives, while meeting project/release timelines.
- Incorporate new technology/frameworks to support our continuous integration efforts.
- Ensure project compliance by adhering to regulatory, PDP, Change Management, and Internet Department processes and standards.
- Contribute to best practices to support a strong software architecture.
- Ensure any volume and capacity considerations are communicated during the design phase (or prior to committing to a Sprint). Document software and perform related duties as assigned or requested.
- Reduce occurrence of vulnerabilities by adhering to proper secure coding practices, having a "Security First" mindset, and handling sensitive data per security guidelines.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in information technology, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in software development or related field
- In lieu of education, 6+ years of experience in software development or related field
Bonus Points If You Have:
- 5+ years of application development and implementation experience
- 5+ years of Java experience
- 5+ years of Middleware experience
- 2+ years in Python
- 3+ years of financial services experience
- 3+ years of product development experience
- 3+ years of Agile experience
- 3+ years of experience with API Gateway (e.g. Layer7, Datapower) and Lifecycle Management technologies or equivalent.
- 3+ years of experience working with Linux based servers, patches, upgrades and shell scripting.
- Proven ability to communicate with business and technical groups easily, ability to communicate with various levels within the team, partners and stake holders
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills: demonstrated proficiency of identifying risks, proposing and implementing controls.
- Must be able to articulate complex concepts and be able to tailor the message to different audiences including senior leadership, technical teams, operations and line of business partners.
- Excellent relationship and partnership skills, ability to work closely and influence decision making with partners.
- Detailed knowledge of HTTP REST concepts, JSON, JSON Schema, the Swagger JSON REST specification, the HTTP protocol and status codes.
- Modern SDLC concepts and tools such as JIRA, Rally, Git/GitHub, Jenkins, Chef, Ansible, etc.
- Experience with modern software development processes (Agile, Scrum etc.) within a large enterprise environment
- Knowledge of messaging platforms like WMQ, Rabbit.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of CI/CD concepts, including modern automation testing concepts, code quality metrics and build/dependency management tools
- Background working for an organization in financial services or technology
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.