Senior Principal Application Architect
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Discover is more than a credit card. At its core, Discover is a software company. Our customers demand products that help them spend smarter and achieve a brighter financial future. These products are built and supported by our software teams. We have fun at work and live these values:
- One customer. The person using the product is who matters.
- Teams get it done. You won’t be sitting in a corner on your own – it’s a collective effort.
- Seek to understand. Listen first, ask why, and then reach a conclusion.
- Progress over perfection. Try new ideas and be comfortable with failing fast.
- No spectators. Expect to tackle tough problems and to challenge the status quo.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
People don’t keep their money under mattresses anymore. Why not join a team that continues to shape the future of Payments? In this position, you will build software that reaches Discovers customers and partners. You will break down a product vision into workable technical solutions to solve problems. You will partner with others to advance Discovers CI/CD maturity as more and more apps move to the cloud. You will actively contribute to the developer community by enhancing current solution patterns and defining new ones. All cutting edge work leveraging the latest technologies in the industry.
Payment Service Architecture
The PSA is a group of talented engineers who work to bring new technologies and solution patterns into the Payment Services development environment. We are passionate about technology and its value to the developer community.
- Engineering focused, with the ability to work with new technology.
- Evaluate all aspects of the software development process (automation, development, deployment).
- Demystify technology trends and products.
- Establish libraries, APIs, starter projects or solution patterns to jumpstart adoption of new technology.
- Coach management in technology direction and decisions.
- Mentor engineering staff with their adoption of new technology within their products.
- Documents design specifications and installation instructions.
- Collaborates with technology partners to select appropriate design solutions and ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Communicates with staff and clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Verifies the stability, interoperability, portability, security, and scalability of system architecture.
- Provides advice on project costs, design concepts, and design changes.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Business, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Technical, or other related field
- In lieu of a degree, 10+ years of experience in Technical, or other related field
SKILLS YOU SHOULD HAVE:
- Ability to work independently on unknown/unproven technology
- Passion for learning
- Strong collaborator
- Servant leader
IT WOULD BE GREAT IF YOU HAVE:
- Experience with framework and API design
- Studied architectural patterns at scale, including thoughtfully-designed APIs, repeatable delivery pipelines, and efficient computer engineering principles
- Utilize and/or contribute to open source projects
- Proficient across the technical stack
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in software engineering
CORE TECH STACK:
- Language: Java (Groovy, Go, Bash, Python a plus)
- Spring: Core, Batch, Spring Integration, Spring Boot
- CI with Jenkins or similar: Git/GitHub; Gradle, Nexus, Chef, Ansible
- Data/Cache Technologies: Oracle, Maria, Gemfire
- Queuing Technologies: RabbitMQ, Kafka
- Cloud/PaaS Platforms: AWS, Cloud Foundry, Kubernetes
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
And by the way, while you’re waiting to hear from us, don’t forget to check out the great benefits Discover offers.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.