Senior Programmer at Discover
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Responsible for developing large scale customer facing applications. Designs, develops and integrates systems for Discover’s award-winning digital presence by using Agile development methodologies to support existing and new product features.
- Works closely with the Business utilizing agile methodology. Breaks down complex requirements into workable technical solutions. Assists in the evaluation of client area application software/systems requirements and processes (e.g., new features, enhancements or maintenance). Performs application software development, testing and implementation of efficient, cost effective application solutions. Completes technical design(s) as needed. Ensures that design(s) meets architecture standards and that the resulting system will be flexible, easily maintainable, high performing and integrates well with other related systems/components. Researches and evaluates alternative solutions and recommends the most efficient and cost effective solution for the systems design. Collaborates with other developers on code reviews and process enhancements. Completes unit and system testing prior to the start of any testing in PA region. Works with other internal IT teams to complete project activities, such as Infrastructure, Architecture and Database teams. Ensures that code reviews are performed and documented using the approved template. May provide direction and guidance to other systems analysts/developers. Analyzes and identifies technical areas of improvement within existing web applications.
- Ensures all projects and releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated. Ensures all projects have a detailed implementation and back-out plans, and are reviewed with all impacted parties in advance of scheduled releases. Continually looks for and implements ways to stabilize and improve the performance of the production environment.
- Adheres to regulatory, PDP, Change Management, and Internet Department processes and standards, ensuring all projects are compliant. Ensure any volume and capacity considerations are communicated during the design phase (or prior to committing to a Sprint). Documents software and performs related duties as assigned or requested. Actively contribute to best practices to support a strong software architecture. Reduce occurrence of vulnerabilities through proper secure coding practices and having a “Security First” Mindset. Follow proper handling of sensitive data per security guidelines. Ensures any volume and capacity considerations are communicated during the design phase (or prior to committing to a Sprint). Identifies efficient and viable alternatives to resource intensive requirements.
- Identifies and executes opportunities to leverage agile/iterative/lean processes to deliver projects faster. Proposes ideas to better position our applications to support future business and technology initiatives. Finds ways to incorporate these ideas within planned project/release timelines. Incorporates and supports new technology/frameworks to support our continuous integration efforts.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Development.
- Experience with mainframe technologies COBOL, CICS
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
And by the way, while you’re waiting to hear from us, don’t forget to check out the great benefits Discover offers.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.