Senior Software Engineer – Full Stack
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
We’re looking for engineers who are passionate about building software that delights our customers and fosters a low effort experience. The preferred candidate is a strong communicator who enjoys working within a team in an entrepreneurial environment, influencing the long-term direction of our solutions.
You’ll work on from call handling systems to reporting systems, incorporating concepts around artificial intelligence and machine learning; real-time, event-based communication systems; and even building video games for play at work.
Full stack engineers on this team share two distinct roles. One to deliver high quality, highly available web solutions and the other to provide engineering insight as technical liaisons to Discover’s Customer Service business. These responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Creating front-end tools in React, Vue, and Angular.
- Creating back-end APIs in NodeJS that access relational (MariaDB), non relational (MongoDB, DynamoDB) and graph-based (Neo4j) databases.
- Creating and maintaining database solutions to support business applications using the afore-mentioned data technologies.
- Implementing highly available systems with disaster recovery, and always on functionality.
- Constructing and maintaining optimized deployment pipelines with included test suites and code quality checks to minimize risk.
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience.
- Develops and maintains back-end systems.
- Works directly with business partners to understand requirements and outline solutions. Works with engineering team to innovate on and enhance their development practices and processes.
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity.
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application, infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models/schemas).
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- In lieu of degree, 6+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Full Stack Academy, General Assembly or comparable programs may adequately supplement a non-CS Bachelor’s Degree
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.