Software Engineer I at Walgreens
Walgreens Boots Alliance is looking for Software Engineers to help enable digital transformation across our customer-facing product portfolio. You will leverage the most advanced and exciting technologies to service the 13,100+ pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing retails stores worldwide.
We are looking for hands-on polyglot technologists who want the opportunity to build products that will be used by millions of healthcare, pharmacy and retail customers worldwide. As such, you must be a self-starter, love learning new concepts and have the ability to innovate. By joining the team, your creativity and imagination for solutioning will help guide us to solve real-world problems in an organization that is at the forefront in changing the world of healthcare. You need to be adaptable in a fast-paced environment and open to change in an ever-evolving enterprise.
The team you’ll be working with comes from a wide variety of backgrounds, from startups to Fortune 100 companies, which helps us strategically make decisions and quickly pivot by inner-sourcing solutions. You will have the ability to voice your opinion, ask questions and surround yourself with some of the top minds in the industry, in an environment where your ideas matter.
Your technology focus will be leveraging Microsoft Azure’s cutting-edge cloud toolbox along with a handful of open-source products that allow us scale. Our team is a Node, TypeScript/JS (front- and back-end), Java, React/React Native, Angular 6+ and Python shop but it’s not required that you know all of these languages.
- Works with the team to develop, document and pilot new products/features.
- Encourages new transformative thinking across the organization.
- Maintains current knowledge of technology landscape and emerging developments.
- Partners with vendors on collaborative efforts.
- Transfers knowledge & documentation across the organization
- Draws a system architecture or framework.
- Participates in the decision-making process to compare various software solutions.
- Evangelizes innovation for the organization.
- Implements and improves core software infrastructure.
- Participates in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge.
- Unblocks, supports and communicates with internal partners to achieve results.
Walgreens (walgreens.com), one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy. Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health, beauty and retail destination supporting communities across the country, and was named to FORTUNE* magazine’s 2019 Companies that Change the World list. Approximately 8 million customers interact with Walgreens in stores and online each day. As of August 31, 2019, Walgreens operates 9,277 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, along with its omnichannel business, Walgreens.com. Walgreens also provides specialty pharmacy and mail services and offers in-store clinics and other health care services throughout the United States, most of which are operated by our health care strategic partners.
- Bachelor's degree and at least one year of experience in software engineering OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 4 years of experience in software engineering
- Experience with object-oriented programming
- Experience working with databases, relational or NoSQL, or APIs
- Experience writing well-tested and readable code
- Experience writing clear documentation
- Experience designing, building and improving a set of team owned components or creating new products
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Experience designing and implementing REST API
- Experience working in a cloud environment
- Experience with microservices
- Experience participating in a hackathon
- Experience with GitHub page sharing cool side projects or useful tools.
- Experience implementing CI/CD
- Experience debugging application issues
- Experience with distributed systems
- Knowledge of the Pharmacy or Healthcare industry