Software Engineer at Discover
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Discover is looking for a talented Software Engineer to join our application development team. We’re looking for developers who are passionate about building software that delights our customers and foster a low effort experience.
The preferred candidate is one who enjoys working within a team in an entrepreneurial environment, influencing the long term direction of our solutions while working with a similar minded group of people. Our team operates very much like a startup that just happens to reside within a Fortune 300 company.
You’ll love working on our team if you’ll enjoy mentoring with other developers, working directly with customers, leading your work vs. following a checklist, enjoy advocating for and driving change as well as inventing features or projects that solve a business challenge. You’ll be part of a Skunkworks team that specializes in using the latest technologies to provide world class solutions to challenging and emerging business needs. Our technical solutions are fairly diverse. As such you’ll work on projects that range from call handling systems, to reporting systems, artificial intelligence and machine learning, real-time event based communication systems and even building video games for play at work.
Promote a risk-aware culture; ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Understand needs of the business and translate those needs into data requirements
- Design, experiment, code and iterate to drive business value and derive knowledge from data
- Skilled in front end development (React/Redux preferred)
- Skilled in back end development (Python, Node.js preferred)
- Proficient in robust application architecture (Microservice environments, Fault tolerance)
- Strong communication skills
- Great team player with a focus on the customer
- Must be analytical, technical and have strong organizational skills
- 3+ years of relevant experience
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering; or equivalent experience
- Skilled in task automation, continuous integration and delivery (Webpack, gulp, grunt, test automation, Jenkins)
- Familiar with cloud-based IaaS and PaaS solutions (AWS, Google Cloud, Heroku, Cloud Foundry)
- Proficient with Artificial intelligence and machine learning libraries and tooling is a plus (Tensorflow, Torch)
- Proficient in the use of Oracle, Maria, Mongo and MySQL
- Familiarity with RedShift, Postgres and the Hadoop Ecosystem
- Comfortable with modern database solutions
- LEAN, Agile (Scrum) knowledge or experience
- Masters Degree in Computer Science
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!