Software Engineering Manager, Procurement at Flexport
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
We move our client’s freight around the globe through services bought from our network of carriers (air, ocean, rail, trucking) and partners. Our procurement team builds systems keeping track of all our contracts, services and rates that we have negotiated. Having accurate and up to date procurement information for the services we buy is critical to Flexport. We use this to determine our sell prices for our clients and to check for any discrepancies between our procured and billed costs to prevent any leakage.
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to help drive this key initiative that is at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries. You’ll work alongside self-starters interested in solving real-world problems and streamlining the inefficiencies in the complex global trade industry. You’ll have the opportunity to reshape an industry by creating the new operating system for global trade.
- Lead, mentor and coach a group of talented engineers, and help them to progress in their careers.
- Empower the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability, and simplicity
- Create the engineering roadmap, and own the technical landscape for the systems driving procurement at Flexport.
- Work closely with our business partners and the product manager to distill complex business problems into robust technical solutions.
- Recruit new engineers to continue to expand our teams
- At least 3 years of experience managing a team of engineers
- Ability to set technical vision for larger projects
- Ability to work well with others and collaborate across teams
- Have experience hiring and building diverse and inclusive teams
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills
- A product-first approach to building software. You care about the real world functionality of your programming
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app and moving to services mostly written in JVM based languages. Our data is persisted in Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profileAbout Flexport:
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.