Sr. Manager, API System Team at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Like all other technology companies, API’s are and will be at the heart of our technology strategy moving forward. Discover is looking for a Senior Manager – API Platform Product Owner to help drive the execution of our API strategy and capabilities needed to support world class developer experiences for our internal and externally facing development communities.
Anchored by our Discover Values, we are focused on open collaboration, teamwork, and innovation are highly valued. We align our work through agile practices and tenets, and leverage diverse backgrounds across our team members to create the best possible products for the company.
Product Owner – Enterprise API Management Team
- This individual will lead the team responsible for delivering a world class API developer experience, as well as ensuring the platform can support our current and future growth requirements. This person will be a member of the product leadership team that will drive direction and priorities for the API capabilities moving forward, as well as be responsible hiring and coaching of the team members building our products. We are looking for an energetic, passionate and experienced individual to drive the team to develop innovative solutions, direct resources across design, user interface, testing, and user experience.
- Work closely with Product Management and Architecture on API platform capabilities, processes, and priorities
- Help to coordinate and organize multiple delivery teams driving our Internal and External API capabilities required for our enterprise growth
- Hire, coach, and mentor all engineers supporting our API platforms, as well as manage external contractor relationship for support
- Be accountable for overall platform stability and availability.
- Work with senior management & architecture on financial aspects related to API capabilities
- Establish and set open and collaborative culture within the team
- Identify team hiring needs and build a team of diverse and energized individuals
- Seeks out systemic issues and team challenges and drives resolution across a diverse number of dimensions related to team delivery and support processes.
- Consults with management in the analysis of short- and long-range business requirements and recommends innovations.
- Utilizes tools to support data-driven decision making. Identifies and removes blockers to enable the team to meet business goals.
- Manages software ownership and development from initial concept through continuous improvement.
- Responsible for the application ownership, development delivery, and support for value streams. Manages a team, including hiring, directing, mentoring, and assigning work.
A successful candidate in this role will have strong people leadership skills and experience in delivering innovative solutions through teams. This position also needs strong influencing skills and be a great active listener.
Other things you’ll need to be successful:
- Empathy for our customer’s journey and needs
- Demonstrated record of success launching successful features (preferably at enterprise level).
- Sufficient technical knowledge to understand what is possible to inform key product design decisions.
- Clear concise communication style.
- Demonstrated ability to create
- Ability to break features down to executable stories for team execution
- Understand and drive value of Infrastructure as Code and automation principles through the team
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- 8+ years of experience in Application Development
- 2+ years of experience in supervising
If we had our say, we’d also look for
- 3+ years’ experience managing and developing teams and experience with software development through Agile/Scrum practices
- Experience in leading delivery on broad enterprise initiatives, demonstrating knowledge of how to get things done in a large organization
- Excellent communication skills across wide range of business and technology audiences
- Employee development: Coaching, feedback and motivation
- Ability to understand API platform related technical concepts well enough to be an ambassador of the strategy to business and BT teams, as well as assist the team to overcome obstacles
- Basic understanding and experience of key technologies to be leveraged by the team including Java applications, CI/CD technologies, API
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.