Staff Engineer, Zoro Tools
Position: Staff Engineer
Location: Chicago, IL and Buffalo Grove, IL
Over the past eight years, Zoro has progressed from a six-person organization operating out of a 2,000 sq. foot facility and offering fewer than 100,000 products to an organization with nearly 500 team members offering more than 3 million unique products and over $500 million in annual revenue. In the Chicagoland area, we feature growing offices in the northern suburbs as well as in downtown Chicago that are an escalator ride up from the METRA trains inside Ogilvie Transportation Center.
As our company has grown, our culture has evolved in a way that ties our early start-up success to our bright future. Zoro team members regularly express how they appreciate the “come as you are” nature of our informal setting, yet are inspired by the talent that surrounds them. Our team members are curious learners by nature and not afraid to try new things. That’s how you innovate. Are you curious and looking to try something new? Zoro may be the right career destination for you!
Zoro is currently seeking a Staff Engineer to lead a growing team of technology experts who have joined Zoro on their mission to scale toward an endless assortment of products, while embracing its award-winning culture and workplace.
The position is primarily responsible for the thought-leadership and practice of development, integration and management of all software used to support every facet of Zoro’s business. This includes eCommerce, Product, Customer Service, Supply Chain, Finance, Marketing, and other business functions. This role will lead software engineering best practices and contribute directly to our customer experience and enablement platforms.
- Partner with software engineers and product teams to provide technology application and integration direction
- Apply performance management, governance, common methodologies, processes, metrics and tools for building and delivering on all Zoro platforms
- Switch seamlessly between individual contributor and team leadership tasks
- Work with the technology leadership team to deliver enterprise-wide technology solutions
- Partner closely with architecture team to implement technology strategy
- Participate in function, integration, regression, and acceptance testing
- Diagnose, correct, and communicate production issues, assessing their scope, impact, and importance
- Map technical specifications to language-specific class/method structures
- Understand and develop database resources to support Zoro applications
- Determine task sequencing, effort, and duration in partnership with Zoro PMO
- Maintain technical documentation as appropriate including process flows, sequence diagrams, and at the code and application levels
- Review proposed approaches with other technical staff
- Participate in setting developer and technical standards
- Work with third party API's
- Stay current with trends and innovations in technology and the leadership of enterprise IT.
- Help recruit, train and nurture a best-in-class technology organization in support of business function needs.
- Provide effective leadership, coaching and management to ensure the technology team evolves in alignment with technology leadership, business, customer, and market expectations.
- Promote Zoro’s cultural values in a manner resulting in a positive, team-oriented, results-focused teams.
- Drive a supportive and collaborative working climate that results in a highly engaged workforce.
- Perform other job related functions as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in software engineering or related disciplines. STEM-related area or relevant experience required. Master’s degree in a STEM field preferred
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills.
- Expert level understanding of *nix environment
- Expert level understanding of *nix command line
- Expert understanding of Git
- Deep understanding of SDLC and multiple development process models including Agile, Waterfall, and V-shaped etc.
- Expert level understanding of Object Oriented, Imperative, and Functional programming
- Expert level understanding of modern DevOps, CI/CD, and automated testing tools like Cypress.
- Strong understanding of contemporary distributed compute models such as microservices, service meshes, K8s, Envoy, Istio, and gRPC.
- Experience building, deploying, and managing scaled platforms using continuous delivery methodologies.
- 7+ years’ experience in Information Technology with experience related to application development or software consulting.
- Substantial integration experience with ERP Systems, Product Information Management, Master Data Management, Logistics, Pricing, Financial systems and distribution platforms.
- Deep understanding of Open Source technologies - Django, Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, MySQL, MongoDB, Linux, Apache, Nginx, PostGres, HTML/CSS, vu.js, SQL, Django SQL, Alchemy, Jenkins, Ansible, Nagios.
- Excellent communication, organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects effectively using modern tool sets like Atlassian.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.