The Assistant Controller is responsible for helping create the direction of and supervising general accounting. You will also be responsible for a wide-range of activities, including day-to-day accounting responsibilities that include global consolidations, payroll, stock administration, and Netsuite administration. Additionally, you will be in charge of team development, driving accounting initiatives, establishment of the company's accounting and finance infrastructure and a variety of financial analyses and special projects. This opportunity has strong upside and will expand with the growth of the company. The position reports directly to the Head of Finance.You will:
- Provide direct oversight to the accounting team including all general ledger, consolidation, technical accounting, financial reporting, monthly close, flux analysis
- Act as the primary accounting leader, overseeing all accounting policies and procedures for Flexport, and experienced in building and scaling accounting departments
- Provide technical guidance across the business including communication / clarification of new laws and regulations related to GAAP and Statutory reporting
- Manage external auditor relationships to facilitate completion of audit procedures in a timely and efficient manner
- Prepare and publish timely monthly & quarterly financial statements
- Assist with investor communications, board meeting materials, etc.
- Establish, implement, manage and monitor critical accounting and reporting policies, processes and associated metrics
- Work closely with management team, set standards and drive compliance across the entire organization
- Develop and execute a roadmap for implementing/improving processes and controls to scale the accounting function and safeguard assets
- Establish operational metrics and cadence for reporting
- Develop strategy for future system implementations and enhancements/upgrades
- Ensure domestic and international compliance for the consolidated entity
- 10 years of combined private company and public accounting background (Big 4 preferable)
- Very strong understanding of US GAAP and displayed proficiency in accounting operations
- CPA required
- Accounting leadership experience in a complex multinational organization
- Proven track record in designing and managing a team
- Experience in leading statutory reporting and compliance in a multinational corporation
- Previous experience in a fast-paced start-up, scale-up or multinational environment is highly preferred
- An ability to sweat the details and maintain a high level of integrity in your work
- A self-starter mindset enthusiastically driving projects
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.