Controller at M1 Finance
Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our staid, boring, entrenched, slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $2 billion of assets, we’re currently helping more than 500,000 people grow and manage their wealth with our industry leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say. “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
What We're Looking For
We’re looking to add a high impact, strategic leader of our accounting function in this newly created role. You’ll start by taking responsibility for laying the foundation by implementing best in class technologies and processes for internal & external financial reporting, internal controls, and accounting operations. You will also be an adept communicator and collaborator who can establish a strong partnership with leaders across the business. This is the role for a multiplier: someone who does the work of one but creates the outcomes of three plus.
What you’ll do
- Establish and up-level every aspect of accounting operations: implement best practice processes & policies, automate wherever possible, implement a new accounting system, and streamline compensation practices & processes
- Grab ownership of our approach to internal and external financial reporting especially how we capture and structure accounting data to enable business intelligence
- Create an internal controls environment capable of scaling with a hyper-growth, regulated financial technologies & services company
- Hire, train, and develop a top performing accounting team that grows along with the overall business
- 7+ years of total experience with at least 4+ years as a high-impact manager or controller for a high-growth startup; pre-IPO and/or FinTech experience a strong plus
- CPA required; Big 4 or other top-tier accounting firm experience a strong plus
- Demonstrated leadership of a high functioning accounting organization and track record of evolving systems, processes, and controls for a fast-growing company
- Expert knowledge of GAAP; strong plus for strong knowledge of financial regulator/FINRA reporting, SEC reporting, SOX compliance, and/or experience with comprehensive documentation of financial & business process documentation
- Experience managing relationships with external auditors
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym