Controller at BenchPrep
We deliver the most advanced and flexible learning experience for certification, credentialing, test prep, continuing education, and training. Our cloud-based learning platform is designed to help education and training organizations deliver a highly engaging and effective learning experience for users who are trying to advance their careers. We incorporate the latest in learner-centered technology, including personalization, gamification, data science, usability and omni-channel delivery.
We’re sitting in a pivotal time in the BenchPrep history, having achieved significant growth year-over-year and nearly doubling in employee size! The number of learners on our cloud-based learning platform has reached 6 million in 2019, up 30 percent versus the prior year.
We’re committed to helping students learn better, and that starts in our own office.
About the role:
We are looking for a Controller to join our growing team! As our Controller, you will be a key member of the finance leadership team and a business partner to the organization. You will ensure our company’s transactions are recorded timely and accurately in compliance with GAAP, product monthly financial reporting, optimize and expand financial processes, and maintain strong control environment and tax compliance. You will lead the accounting team members and be responsible for their growth and development.
Some challenges you’ll tackle:
- Collecting and reporting financial data in compliance with GAAP
- Overseeing timely and efficient monthly and annual financial close
- Overseeing payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable as well as billing and collections
- Establishing, monitoring and enforcing policies and procedures
- Establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls to protect assets
- Managing banking relationships, maximizing return, and limiting risk, on cash
- Managing auditor relationships and ensuring smooth annual audit process
- Working with external legal counsel to advise business on commercial contracts
- Handling insurance and risk management policies
- Selection and maintenance of financial software
- Own tax compliance and developing proactive tax strategies
- Complying with federal, state, and local legal requirements
- Ensuring timely and accurate administration of equity compensation transactions and completing periodic equity valuation analyses
- Contributing to the broader organization by being a true business partner in support of our business growth
About the team: We are a small team of dynamic Finance professionals responsible for the nuts and bolts of making BenchPrep tick. True to startup culture, we aren’t afraid to roll up our sleeves to get the job done. We are inspired by a shared mission to help millions learn better and faster through our unique platform.
You should have:
- 8+ years of relevant experience, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Big 4 public accounting experience and public market exposure (preferred)
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead high performing teams
- Experience with complex technical accounting matters, including ASC606
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Experience with SaaS business model including subscription-based and variable-based revenue recognition (preferred)
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard, eat well, and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We tend to eat our (free) lunch together - not because we have to, but because we want to. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We focus on flexibility - both in work/life balance, but also everyday in operating with agility. We care about professional development so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to build their skills. And of course, we have all the La Croix and snacks that you’d expect to keep you moving. It’s no wonder we were selected in Built in Chicago’s 50 Best Small Companies to Work For in 2019, and Crain’s 2019 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners.