Director, Statutory Accounting at Kin Insurance
Kin is the home insurance company For Every New Normal. Because of our proprietary technology and direct-to-consumer model, we provide affordable pricing without compromising coverage, even in areas most impacted by climate change. We’re proud to offer fully digital homeowners insurance with an elegant user experience, accurate pricing, and fast, high-quality claims service.
We are also proud to be recognized as Built In’s 2021 Best Midsize Companies to Work For in Chicago and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in America. We are growing super fast, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to help lead the way.
So, what’s the role?
As Director of Accounting, you would be a highly visible member of the Finance Department reporting to the Controller. The ideal candidate will have extensive Statutory / GAAP insurance accounting knowledge, month-end close management experience and a passion for insurtech.
A day in the life could include:
- Responsible for the timely and accurate completion of all quarterly and annual statutory financial statements and related filings, ensuring compliance with NAIC and other regulatory requirements
- Lead project to transition carrier accounting activities from current external service provider
- Manage month-end statutory accounting financial close process, including review of journal entries and key account reconciliations
- Responsible for the management of all Statutory to GAAP accounting reconciliations
- Perform technical accounting research to determine correct statutory accounting treatment of complex or unusual business transactions
- Lead state expansion activities ensuring all regulatory requirements are met and company can successfully conduct insurance operations
- Manage all statutory regulatory filings, state insurance department and audit requests
- Maintain effective relationships with reinsurance brokers / partners
- Provide timely accurate data to feed carrier financial forecasting models
- Collaborate with the engineering team to improve the accounting and billing functionality in the policy administration system (“PAS”)
- Lead response activities for all regulatory inquiries, including market conduct exams
- Implement and manage statutory ledger system
- Lead, mentor and develop staff
I've got the skills.... but do I have the necessary ones?
- Minimum 10-12 years statutory insurance accounting experience
- Reinsurance accounting knowledge preferred
- Comfortable working in a dynamic and fast paced startup environment
- People management experience
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to manage multiple workstreams
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office suite and Google Suite
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance (including 100% employer-paid plans)
- Flexible PTO policy
- Very generous equity options and 401K
- Parental Leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- Disability and Life Insurance
- Onsite gym membership - when we return to the office (Chicago office only)
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn't budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don't just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.