Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
About Internal Audit
Discover’s Internal Audit (IA) Department has a commitment to provide insightful perspectives, leverage specialized talent, and deliver a refreshing experience to all of our stakeholders. This commitment is met through collaborative, hard-working, highly motivated, and technically skilled professionals who consistently deliver high-quality work in a challenging and fast-paced environment. IA brings a consultative and progressive approach to their work, which is predicated on a culture of enhancing risk management and business outcomes for Discover, actively contributing to the development of its professionals, and embracing a mindset of innovation and continuous improvement. The department of approximately 150 professionals globally is viewed as a critical piece of the risk management framework and is valued as a trusted voice and indispensable partner.
The Principal Lead Auditor uses operational and technical skills to support the DFS Internal Audit Department objectives. The Principal Lead Auditor position is responsible for supporting the operations of the Consumer Compliance Internal Audit Department including regulatory mapping, methodology changes, projects and department initiatives, change management and audit committee reporting.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for program governance for the Consumer Compliance Internal Audit team, including but not limited to: regulatory mapping, program maintenance, risk assessments, and methodology process improvements
- Responsible for project management for the Consumer Compliance Internal Audit team, including but not limited to: planning, logistics, resourcing, and reporting
- Recommend and update changes to the department policies and procedures, including ensuring alignment with the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF), compliance to regulatory requirements, and integration with Corporate Risk programs
- Coordinate with business partners from the Three Lines of Defense
- Use operational and technical skills to support DFS Internal Audit Department objectives
- May support audit reviews to improve controls and efficiencies of the activities reviewed, following DFS Internal Audit methodology
- Use operational and technical skills to support department objectives.
- Provide strategic direction on audit reviews, based on demonstrated knowledge of DFS Internal Audit Methodology.
- Supervise and oversee the completion of the entire audit for the assigned audit staff as clients' interviews.
- Oversee follow-up on audit action plans.
How You’ll Do It
- Establish and maintain effective program governance to support the objectives of the Regulatory Compliance Audit Team
- Facilitate prioritization, scope, and resource allocation decisions with stakeholders
- Monitor changes to applicable laws and regulations
- Maintain and update Regulatory Compliance Audit Program tools and methodologies
- Manage key program requests and mobilize resources to ensure requests are communicated
- Identify risks and issues and drive issue resolution; escalating to senior management/stakeholders, when necessary
- Effectively coordinate and communicate among teams
- Provide oversight, direction, and feedback to the audit team, following DFS Internal Audit Methodology.
- Participate in completion of the quarterly risk assessment.
- Manage assigned audits and audit tasks pursuant to department guidelines and within established timetables with high-quality results.
- Develop and follow up on actions plans, based on review of business processes, controls identification and assessment, testing of key controls, findings development and communication with clients.
- Participate in special projects.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in applied sciences, engineering, operations, accounting, finance, business, computer science, data science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in applied sciences, engineering, operations, accounting, finance, business, computer science, data science, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have:
- 2+ years of experience leading in a public accounting or consulting firm, highly regulated environment, payment network and related technology services, Six Sigma, or related field
- Business, Six Sigma, Risk, STEM, or related certifications
- Practical experience in risk based auditing, compliance, risk management activities or regulatory examinations
- CIA, CRCM, or related certification
- Strong consumer compliance regulatory knowledge
- Work experience in financial services, banking, credit cards, or public accounting
- Experience in project management, Six Sigma or Agile methodologies
- Experience with automated work paper system (e.g., Pentana)
- Strong project management and program governance skills
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication and exhibit strong partnering skills and ability to interact with various levels of management and external stakeholders
- Foster a positive work environment by soliciting feedback from teammates
- Demonstrate ability to leverage critical thinking and analytical skills
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities or deliverables
- Coach others to enhance their competence and professional development
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We are all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.