Senior Financial Analyst at BenchPrep
We deliver the most advanced and flexible learning experience for certification, credentialing, test prep, continuing education, and training. Our cloud-based learning platform is designed to help education and training organizations deliver a highly engaging and effective learning experience for users who are trying to advance their careers. We incorporate the latest in learner-centered technology, including personalization, gamification, data science, usability and omni-channel delivery.
We’re sitting in a pivotal time in the BenchPrep history, having achieved significant growth year-over-year and nearly doubling in employee size! The number of learners on our cloud-based learning platform has reached 6 million in 2019, up 30 percent versus the prior year.
We’re committed to helping students learn better, and that starts in our own office.
About the role:
You will join a small team that operates individually and collaboratively to achieve team and company goals. In this role, you will make significant contributions to shaping the financial operating plan of the company on a short and long-term horizon. You will work closely with the existing Finance team, Executive Leadership, and Department heads to not only track the execution of strategic and financial plans, but also drive financial planning and operational decision making. This role also provides the opportunity to work cross-functionally and grow in a fun and engaging environment.
Some challenges you’ll tackle:
- Maintain the ongoing operating model (P&L, BS, and CF) including forecasting short and long-term horizons and updating monthly actual financials.
- Draft monthly Management Discussion & Analysis of financial and business performance by focusing on variance against plan, key metrics, and macro trends.
- Significantly contribute to building quarterly Board presentations and ad hoc communications or requests from leadership.
- Contribute to corporate finance and operational finance activities including publishing corporate performance KPIs, scenario modeling, and product pricing.
- Identify business process improvements with an eye on automation and systemization.
- Support planning and conducting department expense reviews and resource planning with the Functional Leadership Team and Executives.
- Support sales and customer success organizations by modeling pricing and deal economics for new and existing customers to achieve best outcomes, in partnership with the CFO.
- Own revenue forecast by ensuring alignment of sales forecast with GAAP revenue recognition. Closely partner with accounting team to apply GAAP standards to revenue forecast.
About the team:
We are a small team of dynamic Finance professionals responsible for the nuts and bolts of making BenchPrep tick. True to startup culture, we aren’t afraid to roll up our sleeves to get the job done, not forgetting to enjoy ourselves along the way. We are inspired by a shared mission to help millions learn better and faster through our unique platform.
- Be an Excel power user and Proficient in all other MS Office applications
- Have 3+ years of analyst experience in corporate Finance, preferably in a middle market SaaS or technology company
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in Finance or equivalent
- Have experience building and maintaining forecast models with full financial statements and scenario planning capabilities
- Have a growth mindset with an eye for detail and desire to understand the underlying business
- Be able to take ownership of their work and solve complex problems individually or in team environments
- Have excellent organization skills and ability to manage multiple priorities
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical finance concepts to a non-technical audience and at the Executive and Board levels
- Experience with pricing and technical accounting is a plus
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard, eat well, and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We tend to eat our (free) lunch together - not because we have to, but because we want to. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We focus on flexibility - both in work/life balance, but also every day in operating with agility. We care about professional development so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to build their skills. And of course, we have all the La Croix and snacks that you’d expect to keep you moving. It’s no wonder we were selected in Built in Chicago’s 50 Best Small Companies to Work For in 2019, and Crain’s 2019 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners.