Tax Manager - State Tax Audits and Controversary at Walgreens
Supports and manages state tax strategy team’s initiatives through analysis and development (including significant research, written legal analysis, and modeling), documentation, and implementation of tax strategies in order to manage the Company’s overall tax burden and risk. Ensures that tax strategy initiatives are properly incorporated into the tax compliance and accounting processes and are supported on audit. Supports merger/acquisition teams focusing on due diligence, tax strategy analysis, and integration. Provides technical guidance to team members and business teams, including supporting Government Relations in legislative analysis and guidance. Supports the development of tax technical, business acumen, and management skills of team members. Assists in driving process improvement opportunities in order to effectively and efficiently perform tax strategy analyses.
- Manages the tax process and implements short and long-term tax savings strategies by collaborating with the various tax functions.
- Partners with planning function to provide support and development of new processes for planning projects.
- Develops staff by explaining complex tax concepts and procedures, documentation and presentation requirements, research and writing techniques, business transactions, and tax minimization and audit defense strategy.
- Support audit function by analyzing and reviewing information requests and collaborating in the resolution of audit issues.
- Participates in divisional and company-wide projects and programs to develop engagement for division-wide and company-wide initiatives.
- Manages the preparation of tax filings which minimize overall tax liability to the Company and continually develops tax improvements to minimize tax liability.
- Upon acquisition, implements processes with acquired company’s management to integrate processes.
- Partners and collaborates in the tax audit defense process.
- Partners and collaborates in the development and execution of tax strategies that reduces overall tax costs/burdens to the Company.
- Collaborates with Finance and Accounting on tax and accounting issues impacting the Company’s financials.
- May develop, mentor, coach and manage staff ensuring the development of employees through orientation, training, establishing objectives, communication of rules, and constructive discipline; builds employee morale, motivation and loyalty.
- Proactively recommends changes in tax procedures, tax methodology and/or tax calculations to tax teams.
- Monitors tax legislation and provides advice on tax issues. Conducts research of applicable tax laws in order to resolve complex tax issues and resolves tax issues and develops best practices for team to implement.
- Manages consulting relationships by identifying consultants for projects, developing scope and fees for task order and managing project deliverables by consultants.
Walgreens (walgreens.com), one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy. Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health, beauty and retail destination supporting communities across the country, and was named to FORTUNE* magazine’s 2019 Companies that Change the World list. Approximately 8 million customers interact with Walgreens in stores and online each day. As of August 31, 2019, Walgreens operates 9,277 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, along with its omnichannel business, Walgreens.com. Walgreens also provides specialty pharmacy and mail services and offers in-store clinics and other health care services throughout the United States, most of which are operated by our health care strategic partners.
External Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 years of experience with public accounting, corporate tax and/or accounting at a firm, government agency or company with sales in excess of $1 billion OR High School/GED and 5 years of experience with public accounting, corporate tax and/or accounting at a firm, government agency or company with sales in excess of $1 billion.
- Experience with technical tax laws, regulations and interpreting tax laws.
- Experience supporting the execution of tax strategy based on the key objectives and goals of the Company.
- Experience developing and delivering presentations to various audience levels within an organization.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft PowerPoint (for example: applying a theme, formatting character spacing, inserting a picture, changing slide layout and theme colors, adding transitions, customizing slide numbers, changing chart style and/or formatting font).
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Word (for example: inserting headers, page breaks, page numbers and tables and/or adjusting table columns).
- At least 1 year experience of direct leadership and/or cross functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in accounting, finance, or economics, or law degree; and, at least 6 years’ experience with public accounting, law firm state tax team, corporate tax and/or accounting at a firm, government agency or company with sales in excess of $1 billion, or 5 years’ experience in Big 4 public accounting state tax team or Big Law state tax team.
At least 4 years’ experience with analysis of technical tax laws, regulations, and cases, and ability to communicate tax laws as applied to facts.
At least 3 years’ experience supporting the execution of tax strategy based on the key objectives and goals of the Company, including cross-functional project management.
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or Economics.
CPA. Master’s degree in Tax, or Juris Doctor
At least 2 years of experience of direct leadership and/or cross functional team leadership.