JELLYVISION NEEDS AN FACILITIES COORDINATOR
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK®, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
THAT’S LOVELY, BUT WHAT’S THE JOB?
We’re looking for someone to help keep our three offices running smoothly. We’ve recently expanded into a new building and we’ll need YOU to make sure our new home is comfortable and inviting for employees and guests. We’ll need someone to keep the building in tip top shape all while keeping our kitchen, office supplies, and coffee stocked and public spaces well-organized and functioning. This is an in-the-office Monday through Friday, 8 hours a day gig. You’ll also need to be willing to show up early or on a Saturday for that special delivery or to let a contractor in occasionally.
WHAT KIND OF SKILLS SHOULD YOU HAVE?
We’re looking for a go-getter who isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and tackle any building, logistical, or administrative issue that arises. You’re our nothing-can-stop-or-scare-me handyperson (superhero). What’s most important is that you love being helpful, have a positive and creative mindset, and have the following skills:
ORGANIZATION: You’ll be keeping track of a lot of things at once. And you know exactly how to do it. You’re a person who is focused on the process. You’ve got spreadsheets to keep track of your spreadsheets. One day, you’ll need to coordinate a 50-person office move. The next, you’ll be making sure the repair projects you are scheduled to complete are being done timely and correctly. All while keeping up with the steady flow of office maintenance requests coming inbound. Sound like a lot? Yeah, it kinda is, so you’ll need to be someone with a systetem in place and perhaps a touch of magic to boot.
HANDY: You’re always taking things apart to learn how to put them back together. And most of the time you succeed! We have a lot of office space that needs constant maintenance. You don’t need to know how to build a mansion, but you should be able to hold your own with the “DIY-er” who you bump into at the local hardware store (even if it took a bit of Googling).
COMMUNICATION: Remember all those things you’ll be keeping track of? You’ll have to let the people around you know how things are coming along. Sometimes these people will be fellow employees and sometimes they’ll be contractors or vendors. You’ll need to be able to communicate with all of them effectively.
PROACTIVE: The Facilities Coordinator will ensure that everyone in the office has everything they need to get their job done. You’ll have to anticipate the needs of your coworkers to keep the office well stocked. You’ll have a good “eye”, and will walk the halls with a sense of ownership and pride regarding how are space is looking and functioning. We’re always looking to improve the way we do things. If you see something could be done better, let’s do it!
NIMBLE: A typical day for you will hold many surprises, and you’ll need to be able to react quickly and prioritize a bunch of things coming at you simultaneously. Bonus points if you have figured out the secret to being in two places at once.
AND WHAT KIND OF EXPERIENCE SHOULD YOU HAVE?
We’re looking for someone with past experience in facilities with a willingness to jump right in and figure stuff out independently as it arises. You know the ins and outs of office facilities and you’re ready to lead the charge at Jellyvision.
ANYTHING ELSE? We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Charitable match and events. Like giving back? Like eating dips/baked goods and listening to music? JV matches up to $100 per employee to a single charitable organization once every calendar year! We also find fun ways to give back as a community to a variety of organizations that are important to us, by putting on charitable events such as bake sales, dip fests, battle of the bands, where all the money collected by our people goes to the organization that is being promoted! Giving back is important to us, so why not do it in a way where we can eat goodies?
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga and meditation classes? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the Renew 2 Zero-Gravity Massage Chair by Brookstone®. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
AND HOW DO I APPLY?
We look forward to hearing about you and what you do. Make sure your application includes:
- A cover letter that highlights three reasons you think you’d be great for the gig. Writing is key to all we do, and we weigh cover letters heavily. We love a cover letter that really shows us your personality (check out our company bios to see the wide range of personalities we’ve already got in house), but don’t stress if you’re not a comedian. You don’t have to be funny. Just be yourself. We’re mostly interested in learning who you are, what you love to do, and why you’d love to do it here with us.
- Your resume
You will receive an auto-reply confirming that we've received your application.
Please know that every single application we receive is read by a real live human being. However that kind of thoughtful review takes time, so it may take us a little while to get back to you (but we will, we promise). In the meantime, NO FOLLOW UP PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE. It’s not that we don’t love hearing from you. It’s just that time spent responding to follow ups could be spent…well…reading your application. Please rest assured that if you received a confirmation from Recruiting Robot, we’ve got your application, and will get back to you really soon. We knew you’d understand.
If you still have pressing questions in the meantime, please feel free to check out our handy-dandy FAQ page!
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!