VP of People
VP of People
Bluecrew - Chicago, IL
Founded in 2015, Bluecrew is an on-demand staffing technology platform exclusively for flexible W-2 work. Job seekers turn to Bluecrew for sustainable and reliable employment that fits their schedules across a broad range of industries including warehousing, logistics, e-commerce, events, delivery, and hospitality.
Bluecrew is disrupting the traditional staffing model (an industry worth $130 billion which is almost exclusively offline) with a mobile-first platform that offers workers control, flexibility, and protection, while instantly connecting them to high quality, short and long-term employment opportunities. Unlike gig economy platforms, all Crew Members are W-2 employees of Bluecrew, receiving benefits and protections like minimum wage, overtime, sick pay, and workers' compensation. Bluecrew is headquartered in Chicago with a presence in markets nationwide and is owned and operated by IAC.
We are looking for a data-driven, strategic human resources professional to lead Bluecrew’s HR team as it supports all aspects of Bluecrew’s people. You’ll be responsible for designing and executing people initiatives in support of talent acquisition and human resources (internal and Crew Members). The successful candidate will have the willingness and aptitude to tackle a wide range of complex challenges, the savviness to internalize the complexities of our business and balance its many competing demands and priorities, and superb communication and interpersonal skills.
This is not your everyday, typical HR role — you’ll manage our extensive Crew Member workforce in a variety of markets and worksite situations. You will be able to leverage Bluecrew’s technology platform to make data-driven decisions and determinations on what is working and what needs improvement. You will be responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating the administrative functions of Bluecrew so as to both minimize our legal exposure and maximize employee retention and welfare. You will also be expected to both build and manage a team as Bluecrew continues rapid expansion.
While this is a dynamic role, you’ll focus in leading core functions:
- Crew Member Hiring/ Experience: We continue to evolve our hiring and interview processes. You will help ensure the Bluecrew interview and onboarding process is a unique and lasting experience for our Crew Members, while maintaining quality and consistency across geographies.
- Crew Member HR & Legal Compliance: Structured oversight over retention initiatives, trainings, constructive coaching, policy determinations, terminations, and conflict resolution. This would require getting your hands dirty to start and then establishing either a more tech-automated or procedural paths forward.
- Crew Member Best Practices: Establishing best practices and improved methodologies for keeping our Crew Members engaged, happy, logistically supported, and working. The team will continue to expand as we open in more geographies — establishing infrastructure and key metrics are critical.
- Internal Talent Acquisition: Bluecrew’s internal team continues to grow, and you’ll be tying in an overarching strategy to make sure the internal talent we bring reflects our culture and mission.
- Internal HR: Employee Relations, Employee Engagement, Diversity/Inclusion, Workplace Culture, and Career Development for a growing Chicago start-up with offices and teams across the country. You’ll be leveraging data-driven strategies to ensure we structure our internal team to scale rapidly.
The Ideal Candidate will have the following:
- 8 years or more of experience as an HR Strategic Business Partner
- Minimum of 10 years of professional human resources experience, increasing in responsibility
- At least 4 years experience as a leader managing a team
- Significant experience in high volume hourly hiring
- Significant experience with complex employee relations issues, requiring considerable documentation
- Experience creating custom training as needed to support team and business needs
- Ability to work well under pressure, deadlines, and changing priorities with tact and diplomacy
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.