Supply Chain Internship (summer 2021), Zoro at Zoro
Zoro.com is an eCommerce company that sells business supplies, equipment, and tools—but we’re much more than just a website. We’re a team of people who win and lose together (we prefer winning!). Since 2011, Zoro has been working hard to make it easy for our customers to purchase everything they need to make their businesses go. Zoro currently offers over 5 million products, fast and free shipping, no-hassle returns, and exceptional customer service. We’ve grown quickly in a short time, recently surpassing 450 team members and reaching annual revenue of over $600 million. Add to that our award-winning culture—we were named a Great Place to Work for 2020-21, among other accolades—and we think Zoro is a pretty amazing place to work and grow.
Zoro is currently offering one paid internship for a passionate & driven individual interested in joining our Supply Chain Management team for the summer of 2021. This is a full-time opportunity and will start early June and end in late August. The start and end dates can be flexible based on your semester schedule.
In terms of responsibilities, our Supply Chain Management group is responsible for conducting data analysis to improve our supply chain operations. We work with Grainger Supply Chain partners, especially with the Distribution Centers, to execute order and fulfillment activity in a manner that enhances the customer experience and the company’s inventory/logistics objectives. We also partner with third party logistics firms that provide fulfillment services for products that drop ship directly from the manufacturer to Zoro’s customers.
There will be a high degree of cross-functional interaction as our team regularly engages with groups across our company including Pricing, Marketing, Ecommerce, Supply Chain & Operations, Customer Service, Finance, Legal, and others.
At the conclusion of their internship, candidates will be given the opportunity to present their findings to Senior Leadership at Zoro. Types of things you can expect out of this internship:
- Create processes and methods to gather supply chain data
- Analyze data to identify problematic areas and suggest improvements
- Plan and implement supply chain optimization projects
- Develop requirements and standards
- Oversee inventory procedures
- Discover the most cost-effective shipping modes and schedules
- Evaluate vendor operations (e.g. freight forwarders) according to quality standards
- Help foster trusting relationships with business partners
- Collaborate with IT professionals to implement effective systems
- Track KPIs and report on supply chain’s performance
Ideal candidates would be individuals with a high-level of interest and aptitude – although not necessarily a mastery of specific business concepts. Skills of value:
- Ability to learn quickly, natural curiosity, a willingness to figure things out, and make things work
- Drive, get up & go, entrepreneurial spirit, a bias toward action
- Ability to build positive relationships with others – direct teammates, cross-functional partners, and suppliers
- Analytical ability, data-based decision making skills, ability to make good decisions with incomplete information
- Willingness to experiment, take risks, and try new things without fear of failing
- A sense of humor, a fun-loving demeanor, and a good attitude
Preferably, our intern will be entering their senior year of college. Educational backgrounds in Business Administration, Marketing, Economics, Supply Chain, Ecommerce, or Merchandising are preferred but not required. Basic skills in Excel and PowerPoint are required. SQL experience is preferred.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.