Corporate Counsel (M&A, Corporate Governance)
Corporate Counsel (M&A, Corporate Governance)
Flexport's mission is to make global trade easier for everyone. We are a licensed freight forwarder and customs brokerage built around a modern technology stack. We help some of the world's fastest growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving products between any two places on the planet.
Started in 2013, Flexport’s investors include Softbank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, DST Global, Google Ventures, First Round Capital, Wells Fargo, Y Combinator, and more.
Due to our rapid global expansion, we're looking for the next addition to our legal team, who will negotiate strategic transactions for the Company, lead integration of newly acquired businesses and business lines, and lead corporate governance for the Company and its global corporate structure.
This role is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for technology, excellent problem-solving skills and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment.
What you'll do:
- Review and negotiate strategic transactions (M&A; complex commercial agreements) including negotiation and review of all definitive deal documents and diligence (SPAs, APAs, ancillaries (escrow agreements, paying agent agreements and other related transactional agreements); disclosure schedules)
- Conduct and oversee due diligence in M&A and strategic transactions
- Responsible for corporate governance & entity management for all corporate entities globally (Board & shareholder resolutions & actions; annual filings; management of registered agent; etc)
- Lead legal integration of newly acquired companies and business product lines post-closing of strategic acquisitions
- Supervise outside counsel and effectively manage their costs
- Work with Corporate Development team to explore acquisition and investment prospects and to execute transactions
- Support Finance team & Controller in annual financial audits (D&O Questionnaires, reviews of conflicts of interest; etc)
- Advise, support and coach Corporate Development team on risk, negotiating points and agreement structures in strategic transactions
- Serve as a trusted advisor and business partner across the company by providing counsel and guidance for accomplishing Flexport’s overall business objectives
You should have:
- JD and bar admission to practice
- 4+ years of law firm experience in public or private M&A; specific experience with technology transactions and IP issues is a plus
- Public or private company corporate governance (resolutions, minutes, corporate actions, maintenance of corporate books and records)
- Public company reporting and knowledge of 1933 and 1934 Acts, Reg FD and SEC and NYSE rules applicable to publicly-traded companies is a strong plus
- In-house experience is ideal but not required; in-house at a technology company is a plus
- A passion for closing deals
- Ability to assess risks and provide sound commercially-minded legal advice to Corporate Development team on structure of M&A transactions
- Ability to work on your own and prioritize multiple, often competing for deliverables while managing expectations and meeting deadlines
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to coordinate effectively and gain trust and confidence with personnel at many different levels
- Ability to work as a team member of the legal department in a scalable, autonomous and accountable manner, demonstrating flexibility across deal types and time zones
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.