Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future. At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign.
Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Reporting into the Chief Procurement & Corporate Services Officer, the Director of Corporate Transactions is responsible for reviewing, negotiating and drafting highly complex agreements for the enterprise. Leading a high performing team, the incumbent will work with business partners and other internal partners (such as Legal, Compliance, Information Security, Third Party Risk Management, Sourcing, Business Continuity, and others) to document enforceable business requirements.
The Director of Corporate Transactions participates in the development and implementation of processes, procedures, standards, templates and playbooks for corporate contracting. There is a strong focus on improving contract processes to drive greater efficiency for business partners while mitigating risks to Discover. The successful candidate must be able to identify and escalate risks, as well as make sound risk decisions commensurate with the business unit's risk appetite and Discover’s risk and compliance program requirements. The role requires a solid understanding of how to balance risk with business objectives, successfully get transactions closed quickly, provide support for a risk-aware culture and ensure effective risk management practices.
- Structures, drafts, reviews, and negotiates highly complex or unique supplier and related agreements involving a wide variety of subject matters, including unique emerging technology transactions, large-scale marketing, outsourcings, and many others.
- Communicates with and advises business partners and executive management to determine agreement requirements. Advises on approach and applicable enterprise policies and standards to build consensus on approach and execution.
- Trains and supervises other team members, and troubleshoots complex problems
- Identifies, assesses and communicates information to business partners on emerging topics and best practices.
- Contribute to ongoing process improvement workstreams working collaboratively with cross-functional teams throughout the enterprise
- Provides leadership and has accountability for the performance and results of the team. Adapts and executes functional or departmental business plans and contributes to the development of functional or departmental strategies.
- J.D. from an accredited law school is strongly preferred, in good standing with the Bar Association
- 8+ years of experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts in technology including cloud based solutions, consulting, privacy, facilities or other complex transactions
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically on legal and business issues and deliver high quality and timely legal services
- Strong and proven negotiation skills to support business units and mitigate financial, strategic and operational risk
- 4+ years of people management experience in a high volume environment
- Has superb written and verbal communication skills
- Track record as a trusted advisor and business partner - driving business insights, actions, and accountability, with a customer service-oriented attitude
- Ability to drive process efficiencies in the contracting process and supplier engagement program
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.