Who we are: Vivid Seats is the largest independent online ticket marketplace, sending tens of millions of fans to live events. We believe in the power of experiences and are fiercely dedicated to building products that inspire human connections. Named as one of Built In Chicago's top 10 places to work in 2021, we believe that our People are our greatest competitive advantage. To support our People, we have built a company culture that empowers our employees to embrace challenges, encourages unity through collaboration, and seeks to constantly evolve by leveraging data and inspiring innovation.
The Opportunity: Vivid Seats' Legal Department is looking for an experienced, highly engaged and dynamic attorney to advise and manage regarding intellectual property, privacy, data security and consumer affairs issues. Reporting to the Vice President of Legal Affairs this role will have exposure to the company's partners, management, and all functional areas. A successful candidate will be capable of developing and maintaining close working relationships with the company's business leaders, while building effective relationships with external partners and clients.
How your role contributes to the success of Vivid Seats:
- Partner with the Engineering, Product, Security, and Marketing teams to assess potential privacy and security risks and regulatory requirements for our products and technologies.
- Provide strategic advice to address privacy and security risks while supporting product innovation.
- Assist product and marketing teams with developing consumer-focused collateral.
- Review/draft a variety of agreements related to data, privacy and security, including vendor and customer agreements.
- Maintain and protect our IP portfolio.
How your role expectations will progress as a Senior Counsel in the first 30, 90, and 180 days:
30 days in
- Complete new hire orientation, gaining the resources you need to be successful.
- Learn how ticket marketplaces operate and how you'll contribute to providing great experiences for our customers.
- Acclimate to team and company norms, business objectives, and Vivid Seats values.
- Understand our interaction with consumer PII.
- Familiarize yourself with our IP portfolio and begin to identify opportunities.
90 days in
- Enhance our approaches, methods, or technologies to mitigate risks and improve efficiencies.
- Build, maintain, and leverage internal and external relationships to achieve progress and advance objectives.
- Develop plan to enhance IP portfolio maintenance, in preparation for bringing that legal service in-house.
- Apply industry learnings and are a legal subject matter expert, understanding the relevant players, technology and legal and regulatory issues.
180 days in
- Design and implement process improvements that positively impacts the team.
- Mentor others, playing an active role in elevating the skill sets of those you work with.
- Establish your credibility with our partners and vendors as a well-informed negotiator.
- Become a respected, go-to resource for our product and marketing teams, you are solutions-focused and they are excited to see you.
What You'll Bring:
- J.D. from an accredited law school and licensed to practice and in good standing with an applicable state bar.
- In-house experience advising an ecommerce company, ideally in a B2C scenario.
- Deep experience with relevant national and international personal privacy and data security requirements. Working knowledge of relevant consumer affairs laws.
- Experience with a range of intellectual property matters as they relate to clearance for marketing materials, trade secrets, licensing, patents, and copyright.
- Highly developed business acumen, with an ability to understand Vivid Seats' business and anticipate the nature and magnitude of issues that could arise.
- Experience facilitating clear and concise communication with and among outside counsel, colleagues, and management. Must have excellent interpersonal relationship skills, including negotiation and relationship management, with ability to drive achievement of objectives.
- Ability to think strategically and to formulate creative and practical legal business solutions. Must be practical, proactive, business-savvy and results-oriented (no ivory-tower occupants, please).
- Excitement about the vision and mission of Vivid Seats.
- Although we seek an attorney with these specializations, we expect the ideal candidate also will handle multiple legal matters and subject areas relevant to our industry.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values the critical importance of a diverse workforce and sense of belonging. Many of our roles have flexible requirements and we encourage you to apply regardless of whether you meet every qualification.
Vivid Seats provides competitive compensation; bonus incentives; FLEX PTO; mental health days; medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401K matching; monthly credits and discounts for attending live events; work and snack allowances; and a variety of additional workplace perks.