Director, US Strategic Partnerships, Marketing & Communications at Walgreens
Walgreens Boots Alliance, world leader in Retail Pharmacy and Beauty is embarking on a transformational journey to unleash modern marketing and communications capabilities built around a new vision for Mass Personalization, shifting from a one-to-many mass advertiser to a 1:1 personalized marketer with a focus on elevating WBA’s marketing and communications infrastructure/capabilities.
Powered by new technology and smart use of data, this new vision will enable new ways of working, unlock new skillset within our teams, change completely our relation to customers, and ultimately drive significant growth for our company.
To make our Mass Personalization vision a reality across WBA, the Global Marketing Leadership Team and all Marketing teams across our Divisions worldwide are driving 4 transformational Strategic Priorities:
- Re-Invigorate our Brands with Breakthrough Creative and Powerful Innovation
- Revolutionize Current Loyalty Programs into Hyper-Personalized Customer Engagement iii. Platforms
- Deliver Improved Marketing ROI and Alternative Revenue Streams
- Partner with world class external agencies and develop joint accountability to deliver strategic plans.
Global Strategic Partnerships Team
Strategic Partnerships is a Global team united behind the vision to make the WBA Global Marketing and Communications teams become world class modern, customer centric and digitalized functions driving growth and efficiency for the business. To support this vision, the Global Strategic Partnership function is responsible for building strong win-win relationships with key external partners, define precise co-owned business plans against our Marketing and Communications objectives and support our company’s transformation agenda.
Our Strategic Partnerships team is currently looking after two distinct areas with our external agencies and partners:
- One Agency Partner with a world class hold co. agency managing globally all traditional key activities (WPP)
- Media and Tech partners i.e. Google, Facebook, Adobe and other cutting-edge platforms/strategic relationships which are not part of the One Agency Partner remit
Total spend across Marketing agencies at WBA is estimated at about $500m p.a.
The role requires an experienced marketing and partnerships professional with proven experience in strategy, agency management and marketing execution to lead our external Agencies/partners and forge strong marketing partnerships. It also requires excellent understanding of the industry landscape and best-in-class partnership opportunities: marketing firms, agencies, marketing technology (MarTech), and data & analytics. The role also requires the ability to build out joint business plans and buildremuneration and commercial structures to support our partnerships. As a senior member of the team, you will be responsible for:
- Leading and delivering transformational partnerships with our Marketing Media and Tech partners worldwide and on behalf of WBA (Global remit)
- Lead One Agency partnership for the relevant Marketing and Communications activities in the United States and in particular Walgreens and Global Consumer Brands America (U.S. focused)
- Setting up strategic and operational objectives with external partners in line with the Global WBA Strategic Partnerships team plan, including end-to-end onboarding and management of all partnerships, including:Developing agency management best practices and toolkits, managing operational processes (work brief, Scope of Work management), recommending and implementing agency partners’ compensation (remuneration, rate cards review, Performance Related Fee) and ensuring business excellence and delivery against objectives (key performance indicators, agency performance, talent training and bringing additional value to all functions and disciplines).
- Overseeing the performance and ongoing commercial relationships between all 1) Media and Tech partners worldwide and 2) marketing channels under the control of the One Agency partner for the US Divisions, supporting other cross-functional teams to deliver their marketing goals and ensuring best value for money is delivered.
The role will report to the Global Sr. Director, Strategic Partnerships and will work closely with other senior members of the team in order to deliver against team objectives.
- Represent Global WBA Strategic Partnerships Team in the U.S and be responsible for implementing Strategic Partnerships with Global Media and Tech partners across WBA.
- Support all U.S. Business Units for all activities managed by One Agency Partner, including (but not limited to) the following categories: Media, Creative, Advertising Production, B2B Marketing, PA & PR, Market Research, Knowledge & Insights and External Communications.
- Foster senior level relationships across WBA and Walgreens Marketing community (Divisional CMOs, Global CMO, Divisional Marketing Senior leadership team) and develop external partners Strategies and approach p in line with internal Marketing stakeholders plans and objectives.
- Become the one point of contact with agencies and tech Partners for all matters related to WBA’s strategic agenda, global objectives, general performance, general management, new projects.
- Ongoing oversight of work stream timelines to ensure on time/budget delivery and continual assessment/solutions for all key projects.
- Oversee workflow and productivity by monitoring issues and implementing new processes; define and communicate clear pathways to solutions, and ensure adoption.
- Document and report issues as they arise, and communicate with clear escalation points as required.
- Monitor project updates to provide timely information to relevant parties.
- Partner with agency Account Director / Lead on any activities supported by U.S. One Agency Partner and Global Tech / Media agencies.
- Monitor, track and manage Agencies and Tech Partners and continuous performance in collaboration with all relevant marketing stakeholders.
- Develop leadership strategies, best practices and toolkits and ongoing improvement of operations processes in line with Global Strategic Partnerships team objectives.
- Jointly responsible for the commercial process and any matters related to fees, cost baseline, costs and budgets planning and tracking with Procurement colleagues. Support Procurement colleagues with all types of negotiation with Agencies with joint accountability for all Cost Improvement Commitments. Successfully deliver Cost Improvement Commitment, Savings and Cost Avoidance according to initial plan.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 6 years of experience in Marketing OR a high school diploma / GED and at least 9 years of experience in marketing.
- Experience influencing senior management and/or decisions made by senior leadership.
- Experience identifying operational issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems.
- Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel (for example: using SUM function, setting borders, setting column width, inserting charts, using text wrap, sorting, setting headers and footers and/or print scaling).
- At least one year of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
- Willing to travel up to 20% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state and abroad).
- MBA & Experience in consumer products marketing or retail marketing
- Experience within Marketing Agencies or Technology firms is a plus.