The Senior Director, WBA Global External Communications is responsible for developing and leading a global corporate communications strategic plan and team for publicly traded, Fortune 20 international company. Promote and protect the Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) brand and its reputation as a global force for good and as a leader in shaping the future of healthcare, wellbeing and retail, by telling the WBA growth story on our performance, innovation, and impact across key markets via earned, owned and paid media. The Sr. Director will lead WBA global media and public relations, financial communications, corporate social responsibility and brand and issues management, ensuring a regular cadence of outreach to media and influencers around key themes, company news and trends to showcase the WBA global brand. The Sr. Director will coordinate with colleagues across division communications teams, corporate newsroom and leadership communications departments to globalize local stories, identify trends and newsmaking opportunities that drive the WBA narrative while advancing and protecting corporate reputation.
Visit our Life at Walgreens page to see how our people are just as passionate, committed, empowered, rewarded and supported as ever before.
- Oversees global media relations and public relations for WBA, including the development of key messages, materials and key stakeholder relationships. Ensures outreach to news media is coordinated with broader business communications strategies and initiatives.
- Maintains a deep understanding of the external market and identifies issues developing both internally and externally that have the potential to generate public interest and affect the WBA reputation. Recommends and oversees implementation of communication strategies to anticipate and respond to global issues.
- Works closely with the investor relations, corporate finance, disclosure, legal corporate strategy and other teams. Craft, coordinate and manage the communication of publicly reportable financial information for the company. Provides strategic communications counsel and help prep senior leadership on how best to communicate, position and frame the company’s business and financial results externally and internally.
- Leads communications strategy and execution for significant company business ventures, partnerships and M&A. Leads all internal and external communications support for Investor Relations and Finance Departments. Develops and executes overall communication and engagement activities in support of the company's business strategies and programs.
- Position WBA and its businesses as Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) leaders while integrating CSR into WBA’s broader communications strategy, embedding it across divisions and communications. Adopt a purpose-led and human-centered storytelling approach that demonstrates the company’s impact on critical societal issues and brings WBA’s impact to life.
- Develops strategies to leverage multimedia and social media content as an important component of news stories. Ensures news-related global content is appropriately reflected and integrated across digital channels.
- Develops strategies for generating news coverage on behalf of strategic focus areas through the cultivation of media relationships.
- Oversees the development of issue management strategies and crisis communications for WBA. Counsel its divisions and businesses.
- Manage small team of media and communications professionals both in the U.S. and Europe as well as global public relations agency.
Walgreens Boots Alliance (Nasdaq: WBA) is a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy, touching millions of lives every day through dispensing and distributing medicines, its convenient retail locations, digital platforms and health and beauty products. The Company has more than 100 years of trusted healthcare heritage and innovation in community pharmacy and pharmaceutical wholesaling.
WBA is the largest retail pharmacy, health and daily living destination across the U.S. and Europe. WBA is one of the world’s largest purchasers of prescription drugs and many other health and wellbeing products. The Company’s size, scale, and expertise will help position us to expand the supply of, and address the rising cost of, prescription drugs in the U.S. and worldwide.
Including through its equity method investments, WBA:
- is present in more than 25* countries
- employs more than 440,000* people
- has more than 18,750* stores in 11* countries
- has one of the largest global pharmaceutical wholesale and distribution networks, with more than 400* distribution centers delivering to more than 240,000** pharmacies, doctors, health centers and hospitals each year in more than 20* countries.
The Company’s portfolio of retail and business brands includes Walgreens, Duane Reade, Boots and Alliance Healthcare, as well as increasingly global health and beauty product brands, such as No7, Soap & Glory, Liz Earle, Botanics, Sleek MakeUP and YourGoodSkin.
WBA’s purpose is to help people across the world lead healthier and happier lives. The Company is proud to be a force for good through its contributions to healthy communities, a healthy planet, an inclusive workplace and a sustainable marketplace. Our businesses have been recognized for their Corporate Social Responsibility. Walgreens was named to FORTUNE*** magazine’s 2019 Companies that Change the World list and Boots UK was recognized as Responsible Business of the Year 2019-2020 by Business in the Community.
The Company is included in FORTUNE's 2019 list of the World’s Most Admired Companies and ranked first in the food and drugstore category. This is the 26th consecutive year that WBA or its predecessor company, Walgreen Co., has been named to the list.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 8 years of experience in media relations OR High School/GED and at least 11 years of experience in media relations.
- Knowledge of media, reporting methods and public relations strategies / tactics.
- Experience writing and editing using the Associated Press stylebook.
- Effectively lead the planning, development and implementation of all global press office activities, including counsel to senior management
- Experience working across organizational boundaries.
- Experience establishing and maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization, senior editors, news reporters, etc.
- Experience gaining internal consensus and presenting solutions to the public either directly or through the media using media relations techniques.
- Experience representing an organization as an official spokesperson.
- Experience analyzing/framing strategic issues and transforming the information into influential/persuasive language.
- Experience handling confidential information.
- Coordination with division business area and functional communications teams to plan for major announcements and events and to ensure unified communications plan and messaging.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously.
- At least 5 years’ of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
- At least 5 years experience of direct leadership and/or cross functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (domestic and international).
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Communications, Journalism, Political Science, Public Relations or related field and at least 10-15 years of experience in media relations.
- Experience working across organizational boundaries.
- Minimum of five years experience working in a press/media, public affairs and/or political capacity
- Media Relations and marketing experience in a pharma, healthcare, or retail environment.