DevOps - IT Engineer II
- The role encompasses support for our Software Pipeline delivery systems including (but not limited to) application testing, automation, project management, software deployment and configuration, as well as system monitoring.
- Our system environment consists of proprietary and 3rd party software applications with broad and varied technologies.
- The role requires a combination of software engineering, system administration, system automation, and application support experience.
- Members of our team are responsible for two primary duties:
- Software Delivery System Support
- Provide support of software delivery system issues.
- Escalate issues to other teams as appropriate by providing detailed log analysis that bring the development team up to speed quickly on the problem.
- Document outages/incidents/problems and interact with other teams to drive permanent resolutions.
- Build and enhance the Pipeline Systems and Infrastructure
- Execute software deployments and upgrades.
- Create/enhance tools to make pipelines and workflows more automated and less error-prone.
- Add to the monitoring infrastructure to allow more proactive detection of problems and issues.
- Identify risks and provide guidance around timing of changes and releases.
- Software Delivery System Support
- You should be a person who has the ability to think on their feet and is able to adapt to technical challenges.
- The desire to continually self-improve and seek continual improvement are a must-have skill set.
- Actively participates in the daily operational activities that impact important components / processes of the of the IT work function, and may include responsibilities, such as:
- Execution of deployment operations to monitor and improve on pre-release, upgrades and current versions of software.
- Evaluating compatibility of programs with existing hardware and/or software features.
- Development of protocols to support established standards.
- Improving operation and monitoring of advanced or complex features.
- Development of processes and interface requirements.
- Data development and definition of acceptance criteria.
- Gathers and updates necessary information and communicates to appropriate parties.
- Utilizes experience in order to identify problematic relationships. Anticipates, prevents and eliminates problems and creates efficient fixes. Facilitates elimination of problems and roadblocks before they occur.
- Works cross-functionally to accomplish assignments. Interacts with internal and external peers and managers to exchange complex information related to areas of specialization.
- Mentors less experienced members of the team.
- May assist in live site support and incident resolution that may include on-call rotation.
Walgreens, one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.
External Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 3 years of experience in a technical engineering role, such as software development, release management, deployment engineering, site operations, technical operations or similar OR High School Diploma / GED and at least 6 years of experience in a technical engineering role, such as software development, release management, deployment engineering, site operations, technical operations or similar.
- Experience in Technology infrastructure, such as Network, Monitoring, Systems, Databases, etc.
- Experience establishing and maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization, in the business community and with vendors.
- Experience using time management skills such as prioritizing/organizing and tracking details and meeting deadlines of multiple projects with varying completion dates.
- Experience analyzing and reporting data in order to identify issues, trends, or exceptions to drive improvement of results and find solutions.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- 5+ years of development and operations/application support, or systems administration or similar experience.
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix.
- Python/Perl/Shell or similar scripting experience required.
- Working knowledge of a programming language such as Java is a plus.
- Knowledge of SQL.
- DevOps stack - source control systems, CI/CD, monitoring, deployment and config management.
- Able to handle multi-tasking environments within time constraints, SLA, and delivery targets.
- Working knowledge of service requests, incident and problem management.
- Able to categorize, prioritize, analyze, and triage system and application problems quickly prior to escalation
- Possesses a logical and inquisitive mindset with a desire to share knowledge acquired with others for the benefit of the whole.
- Places high value on improving processes and procedures.
- Driven to take pride and ownership over your work product and results.