Director of Logistics and Distribution at Farmer's Fridge
Farmer’s Fridge was founded in Chicago in 2013 with the mission of making wholesome, delicious food easily accessible, so people can live a little happier and healthier. Our network of 300+ software-enabled smart Fridges vend handcrafted salads, grain bowls, sandwiches, and more. We are striving to change the food system from the ground up – one Fridge at a time.
At our core, we are a team that cares – about the business, the impact our product makes, and about each other. We are data-driven, innovative, and quick to move on a good idea. Transparency and collaboration are key to our process, as Farmer’s Fridge is a fast-paced work environment where things are always evolving. We’re proud to have a tight-knit team where people bring their A game every day.
Various team and company social events and town halls keep us connected to each other as well as aligned and focused on our short and long term goals. We’re opening Fridges weekly across the country and are looking for people with passion, ingenuity, and moxie to join our team and help us fulfill our mission of making healthy food as accessible as a candy bar!
Farmer's Fridge is looking for a Director of Logistics and Distribution to rapidly scale our fresh food distribution network. What does our network look like? Hundreds of smart vending machines (i.e. "Fridges") stocked and merchandised each night by our highly skilled delivery team on routes across the country with food produced in our manufacturing facility each day.
We are proving that you can safely, and sustainably, deliver high quality, super-fresh food to people where they are in order to drive change in the food system and empower people to eat happier and healthier.
The Director of Logistics and Distribution role is critical to rapidly growing our national footprint by building process and data driven teams with a culture focused on collaboration, transparency, and humility.
As the Director of Logistics and Distribution you will...
- Scale our fresh food distribution system 10x or more within 2-3 years
- Oversee a large team of exempt and non-exempt employees across multiple markets
- Establish, track, communicate, and improve on metrics related to safety, cost, accuracy, timeliness, quality, fleet utilization, and Fridge/vehicle up-time/down-time - every person on the team should own a number and know how they are performing toward it daily
- Oversee local and long-distance routing as well as 3PL partners
- Ensure Fridge cost targets, Fridge builds, and installation timelines are met
- Participate in launching multiple cross dock locations and establish teams in new regions as the business grows
- Build flexible, scalable, systems and processes to support business growth across delivery, logistics, servicing/maintenance, and installation
- Manage and procure assets (Fridge, vans, etc) to ensure inventory levels by region can meet demand, and maximize the useful life while minimizing lifetime costs
- Manage Distribution Business P&L and deliver on budget goals
The ideal person for this role is…
- A strategic communicator, able to connect all members of the team to the company’s vision and short/long term goals.
- Empathetic, fair, and consistent - morale of the team is just as important as the numbers the team can hit.
- Forward thinking - able to anticipate, identify, and remove sources of friction to empower their team during a time of rapid growth and constant change.
What are we hoping to see in your background:
- 8+ years of Operations experience, a portion of which spent in a leadership role in a distribution or logistics business
- Willingness to travel up to 50%
- A Bachelor's degree in engineering, business, and/or operations management; a MBA or graduate degree in a related field would be a plus
- Experience in a high-growth environment required
- Experience with managing both an exempt and non-exempt workforce
- The ability to operate in ambiguous situations and be flexible and nimble as the organization changes and grows - we are a new place every quarter!
Benefits at Farmer's Fridge:
Happier Weekdays - Walking into the office should fill you with joy, not dread. We're a fun and passionate group, and we don't take ourselves too seriously. Bring your unique self to work, dress comfortably, and always feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. We encourage curiosity and inquiry; there's no hierarchy here when we're all swapping ideas around the cold brew tap.
Never run on empty - Daily Farmer's Fridge meal, office snacks, and Friday happy hours are just some of the offerings to make sure you aren't distracted by a growling stomach.
Take a break - Check out what new products the Product and Menu Development teams are working on, start a heated debate on the best M&M flavor with a poll in Slack, or jump in on a team kickball game!
Innovate & Elevate - We're all teachers and learners. You'll grow, and help grow the company through cross-functional collaboration, open access to leadership, and regular business updates. You have a direct impact on the bottom line. Own it. Literally - with company equity you have the opportunity to share directly in our success. You can also participate in our 401(k) plan that includes a company match with immediate vesting.
Farmer’s Fridge is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
View our disclosures related to External Agencies and Applicants below: https://www.farmersfridge.com/careerdisclosures