Field Operations Manager - Houston or El Paso regions at Lessen, formerly SMS Assist
Hiring for Houston and El Paso areas. This role will be on the road within a specific region 60% of the time and remote the rest of the time.
Who We Are
At SMS Assist, we're not just in the business of fixing properties-we're fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work-both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn't only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes' Cloud 100 list, Deloitte's Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain's Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers' livelihoods are in our hands-think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We're innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We're community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We're passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
What You'll Do
The Field Operations Manager plays an integral role in client support and account management through direct engagement with provision of services at the customers' sites. This role works closely with multiple internal and external stakeholders to address daily client challenges, while identifying and executing opportunities to make meaningful improvements to client operations. In addition, this role is responsible for the development and maintenance of lasting partnerships with our vendors. This role also analyzes data used to align vendors in their geographic areas to reduce risk, and improve performance and profitability.
- Establish a process for performance feedback for continual optimization of service levels and costs.
- Ensure consistency around operating standards /policies/procedures, governance/compliance, regulatory issues, and best business practices.
- Ensure all vendor requirements are clearly communicated and understood, and vendor compliance with contract requirements is monitored and effectively rated. Ensure vendor services are completed consistently with approved budget limitations.
- Improve the delivery of services to the client by observing and reporting on performance and experience from an on-site-user perspective, both customer and vendor
- Provide the Operations team with local insight regarding the unique needs of customers in the assigned market and the nuances of doing business with local vendors
- Represent SMS in matters related to Fire/Life Safety, Environmental Health and Safety, and Disaster Recovery to mitigate the cost of unnecessarily expansive scopes of work
- Provide administrative support for matters requiring in-person representation, such as dealing with municipal offices and being present for code inspections
- Assure client leadership that SMS is effectively resolving all facilities issues through local engagement on high priority issues, prior to client escalation
- Enhance the effectiveness of SMS technology solutions through increased adoption by directly demonstrating the platform's value to both customer and vendor
- Build and maintain professional relationships with clients to gain an understanding of their operational needs; assist in the development and implementation of solutions to meet those needs
- Maintain cognizance of work being done by third party vendors at client sites such as new build construction projects, branch decommissioning's, or other projects falling outside the SMS scope of work; represent SMS in the acceptance of such projects into the Facilities portfolio
- Perform non-maintenance tasks related to facilities management as approved by the Director of Operations
- Demonstrate SMS's commitment to consistent high-quality service through scheduled and unscheduled quality assurance visits
- Communicate findings and recommendations based on client data clearly; couple insights with actionable conclusions to drive business decisions
- Facilitate the flow of information among customers and affiliates in the field and the SMS Operations team
- Develop negotiation strategies and participate in negotiations with vendors on price, delivery, terms, etc.
- Provide supporting data and analytics to ensure informed decisions are made when choosing vendors
- Log all communication with vendors on performance and coaching to track partnership efforts against results
- Uncover/understand client objectives, challenges and needs by performing regular client needs assessments
- Ensure vendor compliance with policies and programs in alignment with sourcing strategy
- Interact cross-functionally with all other departments and serve as an effective and value-added service for the entire organization
- Meet with internal departments on a regular basis to ensure vendor strategies are on track and achieving customer goals and expectations
- Handles moderately complex issues and problems with a sense of urgency; appropriately identifies and escalates issues to department leadership
- Perform work under general supervision; carefully reviews the details and accuracy of work performed
- Performs ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned
Advanced Role Specific Skills
- Possesses specific knowledge of facilities management and general knowledge of building
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of options in varying situations. Requires advanced analytical and quantitative skills.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Relationship Management Skills - Proficient in building, growing and developing relationships both remotely and in-person
- Account or Vendor Management with demonstrated increase to scope of responsibility.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years in facilities management, maintenance management, or building maintenance trades, supply chain analytics, and procurement experience preferred
- This position is remote and requires up to 60% travel within the assigned geographic area of responsibility.
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.