SQL Server DBA
We are currently seeking a SQL Server Database Administrator to join our team as a full- time employee. The role includes documentation, control, security, installation, configuration, upgrade, administration, monitoring, maintenance, improving database performance, capacity planning of SQL databases in the company. The candidate will be expected to work closely with management and other teams within the company throughout the development process and application lifecycle of both internally developed and vendor supported applications.
- Coordinates and provides guidance in the analysis, design, development, installation, implementation, testing, maintenance and administration of SQL Server database systems in response to user requests and requirements.
- Performs database installation and configuration, tuning, capacity planning, health checks, backups & recovery and change management according to documented standards
- Ensures SQL Server database availability, accuracy, consistency and overall functionality.
- Ensures database security controls meet internal and external audit and compliance requirements.
- Troubleshoots issues with database instances, DR, replication and backups and eliminates root causes thru systematic problem management practices
- Provides guidance on best practices and standards and supports the project teams with database related activities throughout the software development lifecycle
- Participates in the creation of technical and non-technical documentation to ensure consistency in development.
- Participates on a 24x7 on-call roster providing production database troubleshooting support.
- Helps mentor and guides less experienced SQL server DBAs
Walgreens, one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.
External Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree and at least 3 years of experience in a technical engineering role, such as software development, release management, deployment engineering, site operations, technical operations or similar OR High School Diploma / GED and at least 6 years of experience in a technical engineering role, such as software development, release management, deployment engineering, site operations, technical operations or similar.
- Experience in Technology infrastructure, such as Network, Monitoring, Systems, Databases, etc.
- Experience establishing and maintaining relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization, in the business community and with vendors.
- Experience using time management skills such as prioritizing/organizing and tracking details and meeting deadlines of multiple projects with varying completion dates.
- Experience analyzing and reporting data in order to identify issues, trends, or exceptions to drive improvement of results and find solutions.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Bachelor’s degree with 8-10 years of relevant work experience, or demonstrated ability to meet the job requirements through a comparable number of years of applicable work experience.
- 5+ years of database administration experience with SQL Server preferably in a large-scale infrastructure environment.
- Hands on experience with (SSIS) and (SSRS) package development/deployment.
- Hands on experience with Windows /SQL HA technologies (Always On, clustering, mirroring, log shipping, etc.).
- Experience with SQL Server Replication design and configuration is plus.
- Hands-on experience working with development teams to tune and redesign SQL code to improve performance.
- Hands on experience with managing SQL Server in Azure cloud environments is a plus.
- Familiarity with database and data security requirements.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and conceptual skills with demonstrated experience documenting and working through issues as part of a team.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, able to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Strong customer service focus and ability to manage customer expectations.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities.
- Able to consistently contribute effort, leadership, and creative thinking to solving complex and significant problems in a collaborative fashion.