Dir, Digital Product Management, Zoro
Title: Director, Digital Product Management
Reports to: VP, Customer Experience
Location: Buffalo Grove or Chicago
Zoro.com is an eCommerce company that sells business supplies, equipment, and tools—but we’re much more than just a website. We’re a team of people who win and lose together (we prefer winning!). Since 2011, Zoro has been working hard to make it easy for our customers to purchase everything they need to make their businesses go. Zoro currently offers 3 million products, fast and free shipping, no-hassle returns, and exceptional customer service. We’ve grown quickly in a short time, recently surpassing 400 team members and reaching annual revenue of over $500 million. Add to that our award-winning culture—we were named a Great Place to Work for 2019-20, among other accolades—and we think Zoro is a pretty amazing place to work and grow.
The Digital Product Team at Zoro has grown from the ground up over the past year and has worked with the support and direction of senior leadership to actively self-organize with software engineering and QA, design, and the project management organizations to form functioning agile scrum teams, build product strategies, roadmaps, and backlogs in order to deliver customer value via Zoro.com, our most productive and visible channel. We are looking for an experienced Product leader who can help take this fledgling team to the next level and collaborate strategically across the organization to deliver an awesome customer experience.
Reporting directly to the VP, Customer Experience, you will have 4-6 Sr. Product Managers and Product Managers and have integral influence over the vision and strategy of Zoro’s website and the product organization’s growth and influence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a team of digital product managers who set the direction of our most valuable channel - the website
- Develop plans for continuous development of your team’s skills and work towards career goals.
- Eliminate roadblocks for your team helping them to navigate relationships with cross-functional business partners.
- Responsible for the establishment of product management standards, deliverables and methodologies within the organization and ensure buy-in from cross-functional partners.
- Ultimately accountable for oversight and production of product management deliverables including, but not limited to, vision statements, strategy documents, and prioritized roadmaps for multiple execution teams, and for the Zoro.com product as a whole.
- Work closely with Experience Design and Engineering to ensure product roadmap is driven by customer needs, excellent software is being produced to support products, and to lead and set structure for organizational processes.
- Provide a strong product management voice in meetings with and understanding department heads’ core goals and how they affect product management.
- Ensure that data- and customer-driven decisions are being made from within the product team and report out to leadership the data- and customer-centric impacts.
- Along with VP, Customer Experience and other CX leaders, create clarity for the CX team regarding prioritization, collaboration and team culture.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; MBA Preferred.
- 10+ years experience in product management or product design with 5+ years experience in a formal leadership role within product management
- Strong background in e-commerce and especially mobile e-commerce required; experience with websites with high sku counts or high numbers of categories strongly preferred.
- Ability to set and drive the “big picture” strategy while also rolling up your sleeves and providing detailed guidance on individual projects
- Demonstrated track record in balancing out multiple product priorities against budget, timelines, and other dependencies
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment with heavy emphasis on teamwork.
- Ability to deliver candid feedback and coaching to team members without being overly directive
- Ability to lead engagements to provide a strong voice for product within blended teams including senior leadership
- Experience with building, managing, growing and developing a product management team.
- A track record of successfully managing products through the entire life cycle – from inception to launch. Preference given to those experienced in sunsetting products or related technology.
- A track record of delivering business results and managing a product or product line P&L.
- Strong change leadership including the ability to coach and consult on the steps necessary to lead change.
- Expert ability to design complex solutions to create advantaged software.
- General manager mentality, entrepreneurial drive, and proven ability to influence others.
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional teams and navigate a matrix organization.
You will be a great fit for the role if:
- You can inspire people with your vision and motivate them to execute and excel, regardless of personality type
- You know that deeply caring about people and outcomes truly underlies radical candor
- You have a deep understanding of agile, lean, dual-track principles, and other methodologies, and can incorporate aspects which will fit the business and the people who will use those methodologies.
- You have some experience in design, or user experience or working successfully with these teams and you are tech savvy.
- You have experience delivering on mobile-first or mobile applications in an ecommerce setting
- You can describe yourself as CUSTOMER OBSESSED (emphasis included)
- You enjoy the challenge that ambiguity presents and creating clarity for yourself and others.
- You are highly-driven to get stuff done in an urgent manner - and you enjoy it.
We share a commitment to our Zoro values – Win & Lose Together (We prefer winning!), Take Ownership, We Are Transparent, and Aspire to be Customer-Obsessed. Everything we do at Zoro is centered around delighting our customers. It's a natural extension of our company culture and how we care for each other. We believe when we act in ways that are consistent with these values, we can solve any technical challenge that lies ahead of us. As a Zoro employee, you can expect to work with smart, energetic people, learn something every day, and be valued for your perspective.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.