Director, Infrastructure Products – Application Runtime
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America’s cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation’s leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Director of Infrastructure Products – Application Runtime will oversee the vision, roadmap, budget, and delivery for Application Runtime (e.g. Websphere, Tomcat) and messaging foundational products as well as PaaS/CaaS platforms utilized by Discover’s Business Technology teams to build solutions to meet customer needs. Product Oriented and Servant Leader at the core, the Director will be responsible for ensuring consistent and appropriate delivery of Application Runtime/Messaging and PaaS/CaaS products and services to support the needs of our Value Stream, Engineering teams, Application Development, and other internal Product Teams and Consumers.
This leader will build and maintain a highly effective Product Family Leadership team, including leadership of Product Managers, Product Owners and Product Architects. This Director will also need to effectively collaborate and negotiate with Value Stream Engineering, Chapter, and other Product teams internal and external to Infrastructure Services to ensure appropriate prioritization of work and adequate resources to complete it.
- Accountable for delivering on the vision and roadmap for Application Runtime/Messaging and PaaS/CaaS products in line with the Technology Strategy working with Architects, Product Managers and Product Owners to ensure the highest quality of product delivery.
- Ability to work with Application Runtime/Messaging and PaaS/CaaS technologies and architectures, able to anticipate future trends and product family capability needs and increase utilization and adoption of products and features.
- Responsible for driving and evolving automation across all Application Runtime / Messaging and PaaS / CaaS products following cloud delivery principles and practices
- Responsible for managing the product family budget/financials.
- Establishes and tracks to appropriate OKRs to measure delivery performance and quality.
- Ensures consistency of product management and agile methodology, sharing common practices and challenges across all Product Teams.
- Ensures consistent feedback mechanisms are in place to measure consumer satisfaction and to capture potential new requirements/enhancement opportunities.
- Accountable for managing the product family budget/financials.
- Frequently interfaces with Business Technology & Business Leadership to understand near and long term needs and identify opportunities for initiatives to drive value and efficiency.
- Ensures consistency of delivery across Product Teams, in alignment with other Product Family Areas and provides leadership.
- Provides leadership, coaching, and mentoring to Product Family Leadership, including Product Managers, Product Owners, and Product Architects to foster a culture of excellence and continuous learning.
- Attract, develop, and retain talent to achieve a strong team and develop own technical, coaching and leadership skills to stay in-line with industry trends and internal demand.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred
- 8+ years of technology leadership, strategy or related experience
- 4+ years of people management experience
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.