Principal Operations Product Manager
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Develops information systems by designing, developing, and installing software solutions. Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions.
In this role, you are responsible to drive the operations aspects of a large container management platform working with several other verticals like Engineering, Artifactory Lifecyle management, Security, Monitoring, Data Services, etc.
- Directs software programming and development of documentation.
- Consults with customers or other departments on project status, proposals, or technical issues, such as software system design or maintenance.
- Analyzes information to determine, recommend, and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system.
- Modifies existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware, or to upgrade interfaces and improve performance.
- Develops or directs software system testing or validation procedures.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Software, Math, Computer Science, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Software Engineering, or related field
- In lieu of degree, 8+ years of experience in Software Engineering, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- You are organized, positive, and passionate about working in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- You have a deep understanding of operational aspects of delivering large scale service/platform experiences. You can point to examples of platform/services you worked with operations focus.
- You have 5-8 years of experience in an operational role, and 1-3 years of product management/product owner experience.
- Hands-on experience with a public IaaS service like AWS, with emphasis on containerized infrastructure such as Kubernetes or Openshift is a plus.
- You understand observability and how to achieve reliability in a service.
- You have shown ability to lead without authority.
- You must be comfortable with shifting priorities and ownership.
- Experience creating and delivering services in a continuous integration and deployment environment
- Experience in working with dev ops or self-service engineering teams to deploy code in production
- Strong written and oral communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, self-starter, passionate and collaborative.
- Experience working with one or more tools like Twistlock, Elastic search, Filebeat, Kibana, Permetheas, Grifana, Instana, splunk, AppDynamics is a plus.
- Act as a liaison and promote strong partnership between operations and engineering and improve the operational maturity of the product.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.