Product Owner, Web Platform
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
A Product Owner who will oversee products which are built and used by software engineers. Key member of the business who is the conduit to technology through the Agile team. Responsible for writing user stories that align to the product features. Ensures the pipeline (backlog) stays full and is prioritized. Internally focused on the Agile team and implementation. Reviews and accepts user stories. Partners with Product Managers to prepare features and user stories for continual planning cycles.
What is the Web Platform team at Discover?
The team is responsible for designing and building a collection of new APIs to drive Discover’s digital banking products. These APIs will make up the platform and reside on a combination of Pivotal Cloud Foundry and native AWS. Business feature teams will consume the APIs to decouple common functionality from the app’s business logic.
What are the top two challenges for the team?
- Reusability. Our customers rely on digital for Card and Bank servicing. Discover’s Card and Bank digital presence relies on a blend of monolithic apps and modernized microservices. Many of the apps aren’t natively built to support the future. As we build web platform capabilities, like Navigation and Authorization, they need to be reusable across all of Discover’s banking product teams.
- Scalability. Since we’re making the platform reusable, scalability immediately becomes a priority. Scaling the number of instances isn’t a problem though – that’s what the cloud is for. However, the challenge will be designing applications that quickly and efficiently respond to system requests.
What else should you know about the team?
You will use ScrumXP for development. Engineers will use paired programming
You will join a 100% onsite team comprised of around 8 people
You will use a MacBook Pro
- Provides status updates to the business and management.
- Manages and prioritizes sprint backlogs.
- Empowers decisions regarding functionality and priority in the sprint. Approves each user story during the sprint.
- Develops user stories from prioritized features. Leads efforts to attain product vision and objectives. Writes acceptance criteria for user stories. Ensures that user stories meet the Definition of Ready (DoR) and are updated in the system.
- Collaborates with Agile teams to follow through on business priorities and visions.
- Partners with agile team to deliver customer and business value through product features.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Technology, Finance, Engineering, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in Product Owner, Business Analyst, Customer Service and Relationships, IT, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of experience in Product Owner, Business Analyst, Customer Service and Relationships, IT, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 4+ years of experience in Product Owner, Business Analyst, Customer Service and Relationships, IT, or related
- Financial industry domain knowledge
- General knowledge of APIs and Microservices
- General knowledge of Containerization, Docker, Kubernetes
- General knowledge of CI/CD pipeline
- General knowledge of Quality Assurance and Automation
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.