Food Safety Program Manager
Farmer’s Fridge started with an idea in Chicago: make fresh, healthy food as accessible as a candy bar. Our handcrafted meals are delivered daily to over 250 smart fridges and can be conveniently purchased with a credit card or using our app. This is only possible because of our team of people: techies, logistical geniuses, folks who lovingly curate the food among many others.
Our people are friendly and are gifted with grit and passion. That’s exemplified in our work environment where things are always shifting. Forget open-door policies; we have an open layout where you can hear and see everything that’s going on.
And just like our open layout, we value an open mind, dedication to work, and a collaborative spirit. We hire based on those characteristics, our business’ needs, and your qualifications. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind — in the hiring process or in the workplace.
Check out our BuiltIn Chicago page to see what it’s like to work here: https://www.builtinchicago.org/company/farmers-fridge
About this job:
As the Food Safety Program Manager you will be responsible for building and managing critical aspects of our food safety program. This includes conducting and supporting internal and external audits, as well as working across all teams within our operations department including production, distribution, and menu development, to help launch new products and open new markets. We are looking for a thoughtful, self-starter who loves to solve new problems and learn new things while contributing to our mission to make eating healthy a little easier.
In a typical week, you will...
- Ensure all incoming ingredients and packaging materials meet our specifications and are aligned with external regulation.
- Coordinate and attend regulatory inspections for external points of distribution (Fridges and warehouse facilities)
- Conduct audits such as those related to GMP/Food safety systems and/or GFSI benchmarked schemes like BRC, FSSC 22000 and SQF to co-man and high-risk suppliers as necessary
- Serve as a liaison between facility Quality & food safety team, corporate sourcing, and menu team to launch new menu items
- Conduct risk assessment to approve or disapprove new ingredients and suppliers
- Design ingredient and finished product shelf life testing
- Work with sourcing department on correction and corrective actions of nonconforming material for material related incidents
- Continuously improve incoming material inspection programs
Necessary knowledge, skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, sciences, or business
- 2-5 years experience in technical quality and food safety auditing (GFSI scheme preferred)
- Previous regulatory FDA/USDA/Department of health or Agriculture interaction
- Willing to travel 50% or more if/when required
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas and challenges
- Passion for food and the Farmer’s Fridge mission to improve people’s lives through 24/7 access to fresh food
- The ability to operate in ambiguous situations and be flexible as the organization changes and grows - we are in a new place every quarter!
- Thoughtful. You look to provide solutions, not just raise issues and support the team in addressing operational challenges
- Transparent. You are able to make tough decisions when needed and explain why to a group of key stakeholders
- Openly collaborative. Able to build relationships with internal and external teams. Big egos need not apply!
- Positive. There are a ton of challenges to building something new, so we need people who embrace challenges and failure as opportunities to grow and improve
- Traditional Benefits. Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability
- 10 paid holidays
- Generous paid time off policy
- Daily Fridge Credits or access to free Farmer’s Fridge meals
- Monthly cell phone credit
- Professional development opportunities
- Clarity Breaks. We encourage you to step away from your routine to reflect on your work strategy and top priorities
- Volunteer Opportunities. We love to engage with our community and participate in events that are aligned with our mission
- Sports Leagues. Fueling teamwork and collaboration with a healthy dose of fun competition
- Regular team celebrations for company milestones and other special events
Farmer’s Fridge is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
View our disclosures related to External Agencies and Applicants below: https://www.farmersfridge.com/careerdisclosures