IT Portfolio Management Senior Consultant at CNA
Under minimal technical direction this individual contributor role provides support to the Portfolio Management team to ensure the delivery teams stay focused during the build using advanced analytical, technical and problem solving skills. Manages key relationships, and is an active team member between the development teams, client organizations, and other stakeholders from roadmap through benefits realization. Ensures efforts within portfolio(s) are defined, tracked, and communicated in a consistent and effective manner aligned with Governance standards.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Collaborates with others on the team to ensure business needs are achieved by advocating for stakeholders and scrum teams. Assists with ensuring deliverables are in sync with stakeholder and portfolio goals. May manage and direct one or more Scrum teams to meet complex development objectives.
2. Works with team, business and IT leaders throughout their assigned portfolio(s) to understand business operations and needs, in order to provide appropriate support. May make recommendations to improve business processes.
3. Ensures projects continue to align with business case and benefits through delivery.
4. Prepares budget and performance of financials for assigned portfolio(s)/approved projects in partnership with Finance and other team members.
5. Prepares and may present at project governance reviews, steering committee meetings and helps to ensure the scrum / delivery teams are aligned and prepared to participate.
6. Develops, manages, and maintains comprehensive, accurate plans and schedules, as well as performs estimation, forecasting, planning, analysis, issue / risk / change management, and escalation management defined by governance standards.
7. Maintains, socializes and enforces CNA governance standards. Participates in improving the overall delivery model through consistent feedback loop and Information sharing.
8. Provides subject matter expertise on best practices and stays up to date on trends and developments within Portfolio Delivery, Agile, CI/CD, emerging technologies/tools, and the Insurance Industry.
9. Applicable to assigned portfolio(s)/ projects, assists in managing or may manage overall project dependencies and creating visibility across teams, and may help to remove roadblocks to allow teams to focus on deliverables.
10. Exhibits and promotes collaboration and knowledge sharing; coaches and mentors project staff; shares industry best practices, and address problems or concerns.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically reports to Director or above.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Proven experience with Project Delivery tools preferably Planview, MS Project, and Jira.
2. Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software systems.
3. Ability to manage multiple priorities and work independently to achieve team goals.
4. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work effectively with peers, clients, Technology management, and be an effective member of cross-functional teams. Ability to present and contextualize information and data that can be consumed by senior leaders and C-Suite executives.
5. Requires strong diplomacy skills to guide, influence and convince others. Explains complex information and works to build consensus.
6. Knowledge of Technology and Operations processes and operating models, coupled with a good understanding of assigned business areas/portfolios.
7. Ability to make tactical decisions and provide input and recommendations related to project approaches and execution.
8. Strong attention to detail, problem-solving and analysis skill sets.
9. A solid understanding of the insurance industry, its products, practices and operations.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline such as Computer Science, Information Technology, business, or equivalent work experience
2. Typically a minimum of seven years’ of related work experience in multiple areas of technology including project / program management
3. Familiarity with controls and ensuring compliance with them in a Technology and/or Operations environment.
4. PMP and/or Agile certifications preferred with related hands-on delivery experience
5. History of successful management of projects of increasing size, scope, and complexity over time.