Lead Scrum Master – Technical Project Manager
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth. Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity.
The Technical Project Manager (TPM) is responsible for managing the team’s capacity as they contribute to capabilities and controls to improve quality architecture and engineering outcomes. TPM drives quality and operational excellence for product features across the portfolio, as well as ensuring that delivery requirements, timelines, dependencies and risks are clearly communicated to all stakeholders. This position works closely with product managers, release train engineers, value stream architects, quality architects, software engineers and quality engineers across multiple scrum teams and products, acting as a single point of contact for the team, and assisting in generating new partnerships / prescriptive consulting engagements.
- Work within and across technology and business portfolios to prioritize, plan and execute the development schedule for new capabilities and operational excellence on Quality.
- Manage and track team velocity, financials and other KPIs in relation to the plan, quality and published progress reports
- Serve as a subject matter expert in systems & quality architecture for the teams work across multiple engineering, infrastructure and third parties
- Manage and appropriately escalate delivery impediments, risks, issues and changes tied to the team’s capability development initiatives
- Creates both business and tech-facing materials to clearly illustrate the teams work, beyond technical documentation
- Ensures deliverables across engineering teams are high-quality and clearly documented
- Stakeholder management – assisting to prioritize, lead tradeoffs and set expectations when competing project deadlines arise
- Works with tech partners and architects to identify solutions and business process improvements
- May perform hands-on reviews of product backlog, designs, code, test scripts and results in addressing delivery impediments or quality issues.
- As a TPM, drive the development and delivery of technical products and solutions for our platform/customers
- Deep understanding of all aspects of software design, with a demonstrated track record of increasing responsibility
- Manage and track team velocity and other KPIs in relation to the project/program and its plan
- Provide visibility into gaps, issues, risks and opportunities across the team, solving and where needed escalating impediments.
- Facilitates team activities, including daily stand-up meetings, grooming, sprint planning, demonstrations, release planning, and team retrospectives. Manages sprint release deliverables and proactively identifies and resolves impediments. Ensures sprint releases stay on track and updates sprint activities in Agile planning and execution tracking tool. Communicates Agile team’s progress, dependencies, and impediments. Participates in program increment (PI) planning events.
- Identifies dependencies between Agile teams then communicates and resolves dependencies.
- Responsible for following and promoting Agile methodology and all related scrum ceremonies within an agile team. Enables the team to work as effectively as possible. Ensures impediments are resolved and the team meets sprint objectives and that releases stay on track. Coaches the team to own and continually improve their process and practices.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Agile, Scrum, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in Agile, Scrum, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Scrum Master
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 10 years of experience in technical project management/quality architecture/engineering.
- Must be highly skilled in the use of Microsoft Office, Project, Visio, and Sharepoint.
- Must have robust experience with Atlassian Suite (JIRA, Confluence, etc), along with Dev Ops – CI/CD integration.
- Strongly prefer someone with past project management experience in a uber technical capacity in a product engineering organization.
- Exposure to applications developed on AWS, PCF or similar platforms
- Exposure to technologies Micro Services, Cloud Native development, Cloud powered data analytics.
- Experience in using the automated tools for end-to-end product architecture and technology stack in a Devops – CI/CD setting
- Experience with technology eco-system that supports end-to-end micro service architecture, such as, APIs, message queue, container, service registry/discovery etc.
- Experience working on multiple product delivery cycles simultaneously
- Experience working in agile/iterative development methodology. SAFe experience is preferred
- Ability to collaborate with application, technical and value stream architects and software development engineers to ensure design for quality practices and tooling are formulated and adhered
- Ability to collaborate with sr. management for managing quality deliverables and outcomes
- Detail oriented communication and documentation skills
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.