Lead Scrum Master at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Responsible for following and promoting agile methodology and all related scrum ceremonies within an agile team. Enables team to work as effectively as possible. Ensures impediments are resolved and the team meets sprint objectives and releases stay on track. Coaches the team to own and continuously improve their process and practices.
How You’ll Do It
- Facilitate team activities including daily stand-up meetings, grooming, sprint planning, demonstrations, release planning and team retrospectives.
- Follow and promote Agile methodology and related scrum ceremonies within a cross-functional Agile team.
- Coach the team to own and continually improve their process and practices.
- Manage sprint release deliverables and proactively identify and resolve impediments to help the team work effectively, meet sprint objectives and ensure releases stay on track.
- Update sprint activities in Agile planning and execution tracking tool.
- Communicate Agile team's progress, dependencies, and impediments.
- Participate in program increment (PI) planning events.
- Identify, communicate and resolve dependencies between Agile teams.
- Upholds the scrum process (without an owner the process degrades)
- Drives the team to high performing levels by creating a healthy Agile environment, provides Agile coaching to team (test first, XP, etc)
- Schedules and facilitates all relevant meetings for the release, including sprint pipeline (refinement) grooming, release planning, sprint planning and daily stand ups/huddles
- Protects the team, facilitates the removal of issues/blockers/impediments, and helps the team resolve dependencies
- Responsible for facilitating the sprint pipeline (refinement) grooming that gets the User Story to Ready state
- Manages the release and sprint timelines, follows up on key action items
- Assesses the scrum team’s velocity for the upcoming sprint and tracks the sprint health
- Facilitates the sprint review and demo, sprint retrospective. Captures and distributes feedback
- Provides status updates in necessary discussions – generally internal to the team/ART
- Maintains release information in Jira and Rally
- Plans and coordinates test environment setup and production installs
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in business or Information Technology
- 4+ years of experience in Agile, Scrum, or related experience
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in Agile, Scrum, or related experience
Bonus Points If You Have:
- SAFe Scrum Master Certification
- Experience working for a large, highly sophisticated organization
- Experience working in a financial or payment services domain
- Understands and upholds the scrum framework, protects the team from distractions, and strives for early acceptance. Advocate of the agile framework
- Effectively facilitate required meetings (daily stand up/huddle, release/sprint planning, sprint demo/retrospective). Knows how to incorporate offshore and remote team members
- Proactively manage dependencies and remove impediments. Locate and prevent dependencies for the team before they may see them. Know when to escalate dependencies to management. Protects the team from distractions like non-sprint work and changing business requirements
- Demonstrates servant leadership skills
- Displays self-awareness, collaboration and empathy. Motivate, encourage, influence and empower others. Establishes strong, clear communication. Ability to give and receive feedback
- Uses the appropriate features in Rally to help surface Problems and Wins (Burnup/Burndown chart, cumulative flow diagram, enhanced velocity chart, Release/Sprint planning, capacity planning) #LI-BG1 #Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.