Project Manager - Real Estate Development at DRW
Convexity Properties - a DRW Company is a fully integrated real estate investment firm focused on giving value add properties new purpose. We take the lead role on many projects and partner with development and architecture firms on unique retail, residential, commercial and mixed use properties. Notable projects include the Three Arts Club, Viceroy Chicago, 4 East Elm and The Robey Chicago.
As a Project Manager, you’ll manage complex real estate development projects in the commercial, residential, and hospitality sectors. You’ll be involved in managing due diligence, design and construction phases throughout the entire life cycle of a project, including budget planning, vendor management, cost management and change management.
The opportunity to join the Convexity Properties team is unique for a number of reasons:
- We have no outside investors or third-party capital.
- We are long-term owners and investors of real estate. We aren’t beholden to timing mandates to place capital or sell assets. Decisions are made exclusively on market fundamentals.
- We operate in a fast-paced environment and we move quickly. Our diverse experience, particularly with projects that have predevelopment and entitlement complexity, coupled with our access to capital, allow us to move quickly and achieve superior risk-adjusted returns. We have the flexibility to take calculated risks, such as acquiring sites without entitlements in place.
- We are relationship-oriented. Convexity has built long-term relationships with its partners and consultants. We can leverage these relationships to act quickly when needed and they create opportunities for personal growth and development.
More on what you’ll do in this role…
- Track and manage a wide variety of project tasks, schedules and deliverables from design through post-construction, with an emphasis on the core construction phases
- Manage the work of external service providers identified through competitive RFP selection process (architects, engineers, general contractors, FF&E procurement agents, designers, specialty consultants, etc.)
- Negotiate contracts with external service providers, manage financial and scope changes to negotiated terms, and ensure compliance with project deliverables and work standards
- Liaise with municipal authorities to understand local requirements and gain necessary approvals and permits
- Develop and manage project budgets, prepare monthly draw requests and provide regular reporting on project financials
- Manage project schedule to meet weekly, monthly and overall project milestones
- Provide regular project updates to internal and external project resources and senior management; identify issues and develop contingency plans as needed
- Interact with Acquisitions team to assist in determining viability of prospective projects
- Assist in the review of design and bid documents to ensure scope of work is aligned with project financial objectives and requirements
- Travel to project sites as needed
You will be right at home if you have…
- 5+ years of full life cycle project management experience in the real estate industry, with an emphasis on managing the construction phases of mixed use commercial or residential and hospitality projects
- Strong initiative and motivation to drive projects to completion; ability to influence and inspire other project team members to achieve project goals
- Extensive vendor management and negotiation experience
- Previous experience working on urban projects
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, in particular MS Project and Excel
- Strong problem-solving and issue resolution abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational/time management skills and are highly detail oriented
- A Bachelor’s degree in construction management, architecture, engineering, urban planning or similar area of study
Bonus points for…
- Previous experience developing project proformas and financial statements