Technical Product Owner
Our ideal Product Owner will have the mindset of a startup entrepreneur, with enough technical background to hold their own with technical stakeholders and customers, while having a business understanding of consumer needs. We are looking for an engineer who also enjoys (and/or is willing to learn) product development and marketing practices.
- 5+ years of work experience in a technical product owner role and/or development role
- Technical background or understanding of modern software delivery, including cloud platforms, micro-services, and XP practices such as CI/CD and TDD.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in software engineering
- Understanding of Agile product development, with a focus on just-in-time, iterative delivery of small, valuable features.
- Interpersonal communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships with both business and technical stakeholders.
- Ability to work with client's customers to build relationships, gather business needs and market the new technology.
- Team motivator and team player.
- Comfortable with framework and API design
- Exposure to architectural patterns at scale; including thoughtfully-designed APIs, repeatable delivery pipelines, and efficient CS principles
- Exposure in utilization of and contribution to open source projects
- Belief that empowered individuals make great teammates
- Bachelor’s degree
- Work with stakeholders (directors, architects) and API consumers (internal and external) to identify and define a vision and roadmap, and success criteria for the product.
- Define that vision into understandable features/MVPs/releases - iterative development, and manage prioritization.
- Curate the feature and user story backlog in Rally.
- Clear, concise, business-language interpretation of technical requirements into Rally features and user stories (the five Ws), detailed review with the team.
- Work with architects, leads & team to iterate on designs that meet the customer's needs.
- Test the product prototypes and bring feedback back to the product backlog/teams.
- Prepare for and facilitate User Story workshops to ensure team has user stories ready “just-in-time” for the next Sprint.
- Host the Sprint demo and Iteration demo; record stakeholder feedback during the demos and follow up with any necessary action items.
- Acceptance of user stories during the Sprint.
- Work with the development team to create and market the development principles ("cookbook") for the creation of new APIs at Discover.
- Create materials and presentations to help market the API platform within the enterprise client and their potential partners/consumers (internal/external).
- Facilitate presentations to stakeholders and potential partners/consumers.
- Takes necessary steps (prioritization, mentoring, assistance) to enable the team to be a high value, cross-functional, autonomous unit.