Web Applications Engineer
Who we are:
SpotHero is one of Chicago’s hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking on-the-go or in advance, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
What will you do:
- Web/Mobile Application - Work on our consumer and operator sites to deliver the best experience to our users. We are moving from a Backbone.js codebase to React.js single page apps.
- API - Architect and build out the API that powers our web/mobile application and native apps with a focus on speed, security, and analytics.
- Parking Developer Platform - We have partnered up with Fortune 500 companies to bring the SpotHero experience onto their platform and integrating with their applications.
- Operator Tools - Our Parking Garages are crucial to our business. We're building them a suite of analytics tools, to help them monitor and optimize rates and availability.
- Internal Tools - We have a suite of tools that support our day to day operations that help us scale and expand to new markets.
- Data - We utilize Redshift, S3, and Athena to house data from multiple sources and allow for incredibly quick big data analysis.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- Minimum 1-3 years of experience
- Advanced knowledge of one of the following languages: Python, Java, C#
- Extensive knowledge of relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience with AWS (EC2, ECS, RDS, Elasticache, ElasticSearch)
- Knowledge of Docker and containerized environments
- A clear history of self-direction on complex projects, excellent communication skills, and a portfolio (GitHub) that demonstrates these
- Knowledge of different web servers and architecting caching solutions
- Ability to draft and visually communicate technology/design/architecture concepts
- BS in Computer Science or a solid background of CS fundamentals
Nice to haves are:
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with Big Data technologies
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply:
Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
NOTE: We are considering applications for this position from candidates not located in Chicago. However, you must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and able and willing to travel to Chicago on a quarterly basis.