Associate Data Engineer, Zoro at Zoro
Zoro.com is an eCommerce company that sells business supplies, equipment, and tools—but we’re much more than just a website. We’re a team of people who win and lose together (we prefer winning!). Since 2011, Zoro has been working hard to make it easy for our customers to purchase everything they need to make their businesses go. Zoro currently offers over 6 million products, fast and free shipping, no-hassle returns, and exceptional customer service. We’ve grown quickly in a short time, recently surpassing 400 team members and reaching annual revenue of over $500 million. Add to that our award-winning culture—we were named a Great Place to Work for 2019-20, among other accolades—and we think Zoro is a pretty amazing place to work and grow.
Imagine what you could help us achieve as an Associate Data Engineer!
The Associate Data Engineer will work under the guidance of other data professionals and collaborate with various IT groups, business partners and external service providers to design, develop, operationalize and support critical components of our cloud-native data platform, the “Zoro Data Platform (ZDP)”.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in Requirements Gathering: work with key business partner groups (e.g. Product Mgt) and other Data Engineering personnel to understand department-level data requirements for ZDP
- Design Data Pipelines: work with other Data Engineering personnel to design new data pipelines for flowing data from various internal and external sources into the ZDP using standard and other pre-established frameworks and interfaces
- Build Data Pipelines: leverage standard toolset and ZDP-specific data frameworks to develop ETL/ELT code to move data from various internal and external sources into the ZDP
- Support Data Quality Program: work with Data QA Engineer to identify automated QA checks and associated monitoring & alerting to ensure ZDP maintains consistently high quality data
- Support Operations: triage alerts channeled to you and remediate as necessary
- Technical Documentation: leverage templates provided and create clear, simple and comprehensive documentation for your development
- Key contributor to defining, implementing, enhancing and supporting:
- Data Services
- Data Dictionary
- Tool Standards
- Best Practices
- Data Lineage
- User Training
Skills & Responsibilities:
- Competent programmer with focus on ELT/ ETL design/development using Python
- Intermediate-level proficiency in SQL with demonstrable expertise in analytical data management tasks using SQL
- Familiarity with Cloud environment development & operations (e.g. AWS, GCP)
- Preference for candidates with prior working knowledge in:
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and associated services; e.g. BigQuery, GCS, Cloud Composer, Dataproc, Dataflow, Dataprep, Cloud Pub/Sub, Data Catalog, Datalab other
- Other important Zoro tools: Apache Airflow (scheduler), Bitbucket and git (version control), Stackdriver (ops monitoring), Opsgenie (alert notification), Docker
- Real-time data replication/streaming tools
- Data Modeling
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Strong team player
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills
- Superior communication and business-technical interaction skills
- Positive, “get it done” attitude with a high degree of ownership and responsibility
- Ability to work with a high level of autonomy on critical tasks within an agile framework
To qualify, you must possess the following skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, or a related discipline
- 2+ years hands-on ETL/ELT design/development experience or Masters degree on a related field
- Key resource on team(s) / projects that have delivered successful analytics platforms / products
Final note: We share a commitment to our Zoro values – Win & Lose Together (We prefer winning!), Take Ownership, We Are Transparent, and Aspire to be Customer-Obsessed. Everything we do at Zoro is centered around delighting our customers. It's a natural extension of our company culture and how we care for each other. We believe when we act in ways that are consistent with these values, we can solve any technical challenge that lies ahead of us. As a Zoro employee, you can expect to work with smart, energetic people, learn something every day, and be valued for your perspective.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.