Data Scientist, Zoro at Zoro
Zoro.com is an eCommerce company that sells business supplies, equipment, and tools—but we’re much more than just a website. We’re a team of people who win and lose together (we prefer winning!). Since 2011, Zoro has been working hard to make it easy for our customers to purchase everything they need to make their businesses go. Zoro currently offers 3 million products, fast and free shipping, no-hassle returns, and exceptional customer service. We’ve grown quickly in a short time, recently surpassing 400 team members and reaching annual revenue of over $500 million. Add to that our award-winning culture—we were named a Great Place to Work for 2019-20, among other accolades—and we think Zoro is a pretty amazing place to work and grow.
Our Data Scientists are instrumental in transforming Zoro’s data into insights and actionable results that drive the business forward. The Data Science team covers a broad scope of projects including customer segmentation, A/B testing, marketing investment optimization, predictive modeling, promotion forecasting, and pricing analysis. We are closely integrated with our business leaders and support their ability to make critical decisions. At Zoro, you will be challenged by new questions every day.
The successful candidate is passionate about eCommerce, seeks to learn about all aspects of Zoro’s business, and collaborates well with others. Our aggressive growth goals mean that your day-to-day responsibilities and projects can vary greatly—which means tremendous opportunity for you to make an impact!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Use data science to support key business activities, including marketing campaign design, customer segmentation, pricing optimization, merchandising, and customer experience projects
- Actively collaborate with internal business partners to understand and support their need for data-driven insights
- Participate in the end-to-end analytical process: receive and evaluate business partners’ requests, develop a project plan and methodology, collaborate with business partners to refine the project plan, execute the data analysis, and provide recommendations.
- Build statistical and machine learning models using Python and R that inform company decisions
- Take responsibility to ensure the quality of data used in your projects and integrity of the analysis performed
- Document code and data science processes that are critical to the company, and develop strategies to ensure those processes are robust and fault-tolerant
- Communicate findings to business leaders and colleagues using data visualizations, presentations, and written means
- 2+ years experience in marketing analytics, database marketing, data mining, and statistical modeling. Experience using advanced data analysis in an Internet retailer or a top-tier consumer-focused company (in technology, consumer goods, or retail) is required
- Familiarity with Python or R for statistical modeling, clustering, classification, machine learning, and data mining
- Demonstrated proficiency in SQL and cloud-hosted data platforms (Google Cloud Platform, AWS, etc)
- Familiarity with BI tools such as Tableau or Looker, and ability to communicate results to business partners
- Strong communication skills to collaborate effectively with business stakeholders. Must be able to interact cross-functionally and drive both business and technical discussions
- Prior experience assisting complex business decision-making through data mining and machine learning
- Master’s degree preferred in quantitative fields such as Statistics, Engineering, Operational Research, and Economics
- Knowledge of web tracking technology and web analytics tools (Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, etc.) a definite plus
Final note: We share a commitment to our Zoro values – Win & Lose Together (We prefer winning!), Take Ownership, We Are Transparent, and Aspire to be Customer-Obsessed. Everything we do at Zoro is centered around delighting our customers. It's a natural extension of our company culture and how we care for each other. We believe when we act in ways that are consistent with these values, we can solve any technical challenge that lies ahead of us. As a Zoro employee, you can expect to work with smart, energetic people, learn something every day, and be valued for your perspective.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.