Director Enterprise Data Governance at Discover
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America’s cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation’s leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
This role will be responsible for assessing Discover’s data management needs and develop required data governance capabilities to make well defined, managed and governed data easily available for business use and turn information into value. Lead the enterprise data governance and stewardship functions by establishing a clear approach aligned with the overall enterprise data strategy.
- Establish business data ownership partnering with key leaders across lines of business
- Collaborate with demand Management, strategy, architecture, operations and other related data teams to implement the future state of Discover’s enterprise data governance and stewardship functions
- Conduct data management maturity assessments and identify pain points for capabilities including data quality, governance, architecture, analytics, meta-data and reference data management, master data management, etc.
- Build future state data governance strategy and roadmaps. Propose recommendations for business capabilities, organizational adjustments and technical components to support data governance.
- Develop and roll out a data governance framework, with a focus on improving metadata capabilities, data quality and the protection of sensitive data through development of effective policies and standards, principles, governance metrics, processes, and related tools
- Define Data governance roles and responsibilities required to operate and sustain the enterprise data capabilities.
- Define operating models for data governance in operations, business intelligence and analytics environments. Develop and implement the framework, including associated processes, and necessary controls.
- Monitor compliance with data policies and standards. Assess the implications and develop best practices that arise from legal, privacy, regulatory, and compliance obligations.
- Partner closely with risk organization and establish a clear operating model between first and second lines of defense
- Establish a data quality monitoring framework required to enable data quality reporting, issue identification, remediation and tracking, ensuring trust and confidence in data across the data lifecycle
- Provide leadership and oversight for data steward resources by providing clear guidance, on operating model, partnering on key initiatives and being a trusted partner
- Ability to present to C-Suite leaders and data decision makers by effectively framing the issue and providing the right level of information
- Set goals, strategies, and oversee deployment of large-scale projects across multiple platforms.
- Develop multi-year product roadmaps, provide the vision and work with individual architects to translate this into tactical engineering blue prints
- Utilize in-depth knowledge of cloud technologies, software engineering, data engineering and data science, target architectures, patterns, and automation processes to develop effective data governance processes and controls
- Attract, recruit and lead the industry’s best talent and simultaneously have the technical chops to ensure we are developing the appropriate data assets based on the highest value business use cases
- Represent Discover at data meetups, speak at external conference, and mentor junior team members
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 10+ years of large-scale Data Governance management and oversight experience.
- 5+ years’ experience working with data management capabilities
- 5+ years’ of data management related experience such as data analysis, enterprise information management, data architecture, and data quality management.
- Experience with report design, data profiling, metadata management and ability to work with multiple business stakeholders at all levels.
- Good understanding of data related government regulatory requirements and emerging trends and issues. In-depth knowledge of data governance and data management concepts, approaches, and tools and the role of data governance in the successful implementation of data strategy.
- Advanced analytical, problem solving, negotiation and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to multi-task, organize, prioritize and meet deadlines.
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy.
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.