Lead Data Engineer
At Discover Financial Services you can make an impact. Whether it’s developing corporate strategy, innovating new services or supporting IT needs, every employee has the opportunity to be a vital part of our business and make a real difference in people’s lives. It’s the heart of what we do. Discover is one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services.
We’re a direct banking and payment services company built on a legacy of innovation and customer service. Our employees have always played a big part in our success. We support, challenge and inspire employees to continually develop their skills, advance their career and help grow our business.
Discover Financial Services is seeking a Lead Data engineer to join our Enterprise Data Management team. Successful candidates will partner with our business partners to understand their data needs, and build data pipelines using cutting edge technologies like Kinesis/Kafka. Additionally you will explore the use of Python, Scala, Spark APIs to enrich data for our data scientists.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Discover Financial Service’s data and its mission.
Where you can make an impact:
* Be part of Data Engineering team translating business and technology requirements into our ETL/ELT architecture.
* Develop real-time data ingestion and stream-analytic solutions leveraging technologies such as Kafka, Apache Spark, Kinesis, Java, NoSQL DBs, AWS EMR.
* Collaborate with cross functional teams such as AWS cloud & platform engineering, DBAs and business teams.
* Highly productive: Ability to deliver with minimal oversight on a day-to-day basis. This role is intended for somebody who is passionate about data and developing solutions to generate data insights.
* Fierce fast attitude: Must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment with other high caliber engineers
* Multi-tasking and prioritization expertise: Enjoy balancing numerous different priorities and demands.
* Learner: Passionate learner who enjoys education through class room training and self-discovery on a variety of emerging technologies
* Leader: Decision making capabilities while gathering information and demonstrating leadership to peer and junior level staff.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- BS in Computer Science or related field, or professional experience in data movement.
- 6+ years of data engineering experience working with structured and un-structured data.
- Experience in Agile methodologies
- Proficiency in scripting languages such as Shell/Python/Scala/Java
- Good understanding of Big Data technology trends, with knowledge of technologies such as Kinesis, Kafka, Spark, Hive, pySpark.
- Experience with one of the ETL tools: Ab Initio, Informatica or Data Stage
- Experience and / or certification with AWS Cloud Service
- Experience with Snowflake
- Prior experience with Banking or Financial domain
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.