Lead Data Engineer at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Responsible for designing and developing data-driven platforms and next-generation analytic technologies.
- Develop data driven solutions such as reusable components, functions etc. utilizing current and next generation technologies to meet evolving business needs.
- Make recommendations and build PoCs of new solutions for solving exciting data problems.
- Contribute to determining programming approach, tools, and techniques that best meet the business requirements.
- Utilize multiple development languages/tools such as Python, SPARK, Hive to build prototypes and evaluate results for effectiveness and feasibility.
- Design and develop Custom Data pipeline (Cloud and locally hosted).
- Work heavily within the Cloud ecosystem and migrate data from Teradata to AWS based platform.
- Provide support for deployed data applications and analytical models by being a trusted advisor to Data Scientists and other data consumers by identifying data problems and guiding issue resolution with partner Data Engineers and source data providers.
- Ensure proper data governance policies and standards are followed by implementing or validating Data Lineage, Quality checks, classification, etc.
- Develop monitoring solutions for existing and next generation data processing ecosystems.
- Designs and develops complex and critical data projects.
- Designs and develops real-time processing solutions.
- Creates and enhances data solutions that enable seamless integration and flow of data across the data ecosystem.
- Designs and develops data ingestion frameworks, leveraging open-source tools and data-processing frameworks.
- Be pro-active and diligent in identifying and communicating design and data processing issues.
- Develops, implements, and supports application codes and analytical models
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration/Engineering
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 4+ years of experience in AWS Cloud Data Platform Administration/Engineering
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) based solutions such as Lambda, Dynamo db, Snowflake, RedShift, EMR, EC2, glue and S3.
- Working knowledge of cloud monitoring tools such as AppDynamics, Data dog etc.
- Working knowledge of job schedulers such as Autosys, Control-M, IWS etc..
- Self-learner with hands on experience in building data pipeline, Data lakes and ETL processing solutions.
- Experience with DevOps environment and approaches.
- Experience in migrating ETL processes (not just data) from relational warehouse Databases to AWS based solutions.
- Experience in building solutions and frameworks within the Big Data ecosystem including Hadoop, Kafka, Hive, Spark, HBase, and NoSQL.
- Experience within the financial industry.
- Experience with writing and performance tuning complex SQL queries
- Hands on experience with Service Now and Support Automation.
- Preferred experience with cloud schedulers such as Airflow, Arrow etc.
- Knowledge of Jenkins, Chef, Ansible, AppDynamics, Data dog etc.
- Experience with any of the following: Spark, Python or H2O
- Knowledge of BI tools such as Cognos and Tableau
- Certifications in AWS Solution Architecture and AWS Big data/AWS DevOps
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.